Air conditioners are a must-have in the summer, but they can be expensive and take up a lot of space. However, there is an alternative to traditional air conditioning that will allow you to enjoy all the benefits without the drawbacks. The small RV air conditioner and heater are perfect for those who want something affordable, versatile, and easy to install!
The small RV air conditioner is designed for use with a 12-volt battery system or solar panels. It has two speeds: low speed (750 watts) and high speed (1500 watts). This makes it useful for both heating your vehicle as well as cooling it down on hot days!
Can You Use a Portable Air Conditioner in an RV?
Absolutely! Use the small RV air conditioner and heater to cool or heat your vehicle with ease. It’s affordable, easy to install, and perfect for all seasons.
How Much Is a Small Air Conditioner for an RV?
Air conditioners for an RV vary in price, but the most popular option is a small air conditioner that costs anywhere from $150 to $350. These are typically 12000 BTU units and will cool around 400 sq ft of space.
A more powerful unit would cost upwards of over 2000 BTUs per square foot, with prices ranging from $500 -$2000.
How Many BTU Do I Need for My RV?
When you’re installing your a/c and heater, one of the most important things to consider is BTU or British Thermal Units. The amount of BTUs needed depends on how many square feet are in your RV, including rooms like bedrooms, bathrooms, living room, etc. Generally speaking:
- 150-200 square feet requires a minimum of 11,000 BTUs
- 250 square feet requires a minimum of 17,500 BTUs
- 350-400 square feet requires about 22,500BTUs
Will the RV Battery Run the Small RV Air Conditioner?
The answer is yes, but it will depend on several factors. Just because your small RVer’s camper has a 12-volt system doesn’t mean you can power any appliance or device that runs off of 120 volts without a problem.
For example, your refrigerator will only run on a 110-volt or 220-volt circuit, and the electric company must be able to provide power for it. If you’re running a heat pump air conditioner, then there may not be enough amps in the RV battery system to support both the furnace blower motor and heater at the same time.
Efficiency is another consideration for small RV air conditioners: the less energy they use, the better off you’ll be when it comes to your battery life.
How Long Should an RV Air Conditioner Last?
An RV air conditioner should last about 15 years, depending on how much you use it. If your unit is not cooling enough, then the coil may be dirty or have debris blocking it, which needs to be cleaned. You can also try a dehumidifier in your RV if moisture levels are too high for the AC system to handle easily.
The Best Small RV Air Conditioners
Small RVs are becoming more popular as people want to live a simpler life, but they often have a hard time finding the right air conditioner for them. The best small RV air conditioners will give you and your family the cool comfort that you need on those hot days when traveling in your camper or motorhome.
The list below includes some of the best small RV air conditioners on the market. The prices vary depending on size and features, so you’ll be able to find one that fits your budget as well as meets all your needs.
- Aerodynamic low profile reduces wind drag, saves fuel
- Quiet power: Delivers the optimum balance of air flow
- Easy-to-reach, easy-to-use controls - three-speed blower
- Manual, electronic and wall thermostat controls
- Pre-installed module board and heat strip for thin ceiling application
- Delivers 320 CFM(cubic feet perminute)or 543.7 CMH(cubic meters per hour) airflow
- Superior Performance: The Furrion Chill is a 14,500 BTU Rooftop Air Conditioner for RV, trailer, or campers. The air conditioner has 2 fans to help move cool air faster and efficiently inside your RV. Does not include the Air Distribution box
- Superior Cooling Capacity & Energy Efficient: Furrion Chill is designed with 50% higher cooling capacity and 40% more energy efficiency compared to industry standards. It is 50% quieter than leading competitors
- Durable & Reliable: Built with Furrion's VibrationSmart & ClimateSmart technologies to protect the equipment from tough conditions on the road. UV-resistant cover with thermal insulation protects internal components from water, heat, UV rays and debris. The EPP foam housing is water and chemical resistant. Start capacitor offers an extra boost to help jump-start the AC when a campsite or generator doesn't provide enough power
- Lightweight & Aerodynamic: Furrion Chill is designed for lightweight and aerodynamic rooftop design to reduce drag and wind resistance. This improves your RV's performance and overall mileage.
- Easy Installation & Warranty: The air conditioner requires a simple bolt-on installation and has a clear step by step installation guide. The Furrion CHILL comes with a 24-month warranty.
- Your purchase includes One Dometic Brisk II Rooftop Air Conditioner, 13,500 BTU - Polar White B57915.XX1C0 model, One Warranty card and One Registration card
- Air conditioner dimensions: 29 5/8” W x 13 7/8” H x 27 5/8” D. Weight 77 lbs
- Performance: 13,500 BTU/h. Input voltage (AC): 115V. Does not include Heat Pump
- Dampening brackets reduce noise and vibration
- The Brisk II's smart design and improved materials combine to maximize air flow and performance
- Overall Dimensions: 35.5" x 29.5" x 12 5/8"
- Fits all Old style 11000, 13500, 15000 BTU Brisk Air by Dometic
- Molded of High impact UV resistant material
- Stronger than originals
- Designed to last
- Easy to use, adjustable
- Powerful air distribution
- For non-ducted applications only. Scope of delivery ADB, Installation and operating Manual, Installation Material
- The remote that is included with the model allows you to control the temperature and settings of the unit from the comfort of your couch.
- Unlike other models that are made of cheap plastic that has been molded to shape around the unit, these are made from high-quality, tough plastic built to withstand what life throws at it.
- The small size allows you to take full advantage of the air conditioner while not sacrificing as much in the way of roof space or interior ceiling space. Because it fits a 14" by 14" space, it can directly replace a 14" by 14" fan
- The maximum power input of this unit is 1590 Watts and the maximum current is 14.6 Amps, leading to an energy efficiency rating of 5.97 watts per BTU.
- Measuring 26 3/4" wide by 39 5/16" long by 13 11/16" high on the outside of your RV and 21 1/8" wide by 21 15/16" long by 1 11/16" high on the inside ceiling assembly. The air conditioner is non-ducted and comes in black and white.
- Attractive and durable, it runs off of 115V power. With this model, the sound level is much lower than many of the other air conditioners on the market and the quality of the temperature is better.
- In addition, the amperage (amps) on the model is lower than other air conditioners. While this might not mean a whole lot, it means that it draws less electricity, saving you power and money to use for other appliances or RV devices.
- This RV air conditioner is significantly quieter than most RV AC units, leaving you cooler without the noise. It also uses fewer amps, saving you energy and money. Finally, with the high-quality skill and manufacturing put into this unit, you get great temperature quality to keep you comfortable and cool all throughout the summer season.
- This RV air conditioner measures 33 1/2" wide by 8 13/16" high by 44 3/16" deep for the outdoor unit and 20 5/16" wide by 1 15/16" high by 22 5/8" deep for the ceiling assembly. Using 115V power, it weighs about 99 pounds and has a maximum airflow of 318 CFM.
- Non-ducted to allow for easier setup and use, this RV AC unit comes with a remote control that allows you to change the settings and speed of the unit from the comfort of your couch. With other models, you would have to climb up to your AC unit and manually adjust the knobs and buttons. With this remote, though, you can say goodbye to that task. And the comfort doesn't stop at the remote either. One of the big drawbacks to a lot of AC units is that they are loud and annoying.
- Cool/Heat Capacity: 15,000
- Electric Heat Element Capacity: 5,600
- Electrical rating: 115 VAC, 60HZ
- 1/3 hp fan motor
- 320 CFM Airflow