No matter how exciting traveling with a dog may be, the excitement will come to an end if your pup is uncomfortable and the journey is long. To give your dog comfort during a long trip, I’ll discuss some important preparations you should consider before you leave your home.
A Visit to the Veterinary Clinic
Your veterinarian is in the best position to decide if your dog can travel. If she gives you the green light, ask her if she can make the trip less stressful for your dog. The vet will know best how to address common problems with your particular breed of dog.
1. Book a Friendly Room
Before you travel, make sure the hotel at which you’re booking is pet-friendly. There are hotels that don’t allow pets and it’s hard to know which ones they are. Plan ahead and do your due diligence.
2. Split Your Trip into Manageable Segments
If you think your pet is going to be affected by a long-distance trip, split the trip into smaller parts. There are some dog breeds that aren’t allowed in some hotels. Don’t just check if the hotel accommodates dogs, make sure your breed is on the preferred list.
3. Travel with Meals and Snacks
Bring lots of snacks for your pets. I recommend a braided chew-friendly dog bone that’ll keep doggie preoccupied.
- Combination Of Real Chicken Wrapped With Premium Rawhide
- Packed With Protein
- Promotes Clean Teeth From The Natural Action Of Chewing
- Classic Bone Shaped Chew, Packed With Flavor
- No Fillers Or Artificial Binders
4. Teach Your Dog to Stay Calm in the Car
Before your long-distance trip, go on short ones with your dog. Acclimation is important, especially if Rover hasn’t traveled before.
But more importantly, you could reward your dog with treats so he’ll be conditioned to stay calm in the car.
And besides, if he’s anything like me, your dog will soon fall asleep from the hypnotic highway vibrations.
5. Eating: When to Feed
Unfortunately, some dogs just don’t do well on car trips. If you haven’t traveled with your pup, you won’t know how he’ll respond to a long drive until you do. In this case, I’d suggest bringing plastic wraps in the event your dog has to vomit. Wrap the area where your dog will be to protect the interior of the car. I’d also suggest you not feed your dog a full meal at least 8 hours before the trip; consider smaller bites more frequently to monitor his health. Do not forget about water for your puppy, especially in the summer hot day.
6. Secure Your Pet’s Crate
If you intend to use a crate to transport your dog, ensure it’s well-secured. The last thing you want is for it to become unfastened and compromise the safety of your pet. Use the seatbelt around the crate if it’ll reach, or consider purchasing a seat-belt extender to do the job.
7. There Should Be Rest Stops
You should remember to stop in intervals of between two and three hours. This would strengthen your pet and give him the energy he needs to move around when he arrives at your destination.
8. Bring Interactive Dog Toys
Have you considered interactive favorite toys to keep your dog preoccupied? This is one of the best ways to keep him relaxed and mentally stimulated.
- PLUSH SQUEAKY DOG TOY THAT WIGGLES, VIBRATES, & BARKS – Entice your dog to run, chase, play, and exercise. This interactive dog toy encourages fun stimulation for dogs of all ages. Fun dog toys for small dogs, dog toys for medium dogs, and large dog...
- REDUCE ANXIETY AND BOREDOM – With funny sounds and erratic movements, these funny dog toys & plush dog toy will capture your puppy or adult dog’s interest and keep them engaged with its interactive dog toy movements. The wobble and wiggle will keep...
- TIPS TO ACTIVATE – On/Off button on this plush dog toy is located on the top of the plastic ball. Press the button and hold for 2 seconds to turn the ball on. To activate, shake, roll, or throw Hyper Pet Doggie Tail. The random motion will continue for...
- BATTERY OPERATED PROLONGED PLAY – To change batteries, remove the plastic ball from plush toy cover. Use tab to open the giggle dog toy ball. Remove the battery compartment and insert 3 AAA batteries. This interactive dog toy has an automatic stop...
- NEW COVERS AVAILABLE – Additional Hyper Doggie Tail covers are available for your pet— search Hyper Pet Doggie Tail Replacement Cover or type 49980EA in the search box. Hyper Pet is a Cosmic Pet Brand. Color of Doggie Tail Plush May Vary.
9. Bring Washable Dog Beds
A dog bed should be washable because we know how dirty and smelly dogs are. By laying out a bed, you’ll keep your vehicle clean. You’ll also be providing a familiar environment for your dog.
This is especially important if you’re traveling far from home, camping in the woods, or even RVing with your dog at a campground. Having a familiar place will lower your dog’s stress during the trip.
- Plush, ultra-soft pet bed with swirl design，Perfect for small dogs and cats
- This pet bed comes in a compressed vacuum package, please use your hands to pat and shake the dog bed after open the vacuum packaging and wait for 1 day to make it back to fluffy status before using.
- Neutral tone and classic design its in with most existing home decor
- Machine washable and dryable
- Recommended for cats and extra-small sized dog breeds. Please check to see if any damage or hole torn by dog before machine wash. If there is any damage, please do not wash by machine.
I hope you enjoyed these tips. Remember, your dog shouldn’t be an afterthought. If the above suggestions aren’t to your liking, consider listening to slow music during your trip to reduce stress — for you and your best friend.