With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- MOUNTS DIRECTLY THROUGH EXPANDED METAL! QUICK AND EASY INSTALLATION - NO TOOLS REQUIRED!
- Made in Dubuque, IA, USA.
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit.This durable case can be used to clean all types pistols, rifles and muzzleloaders.Everything you need to clean for every gun in the case.No matter you are a new beginners or a professional shooters,the case suitable for you.
- Gun cleaning accessories.You'll get 3 solid brass rods for .17-.270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for .30 and over caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders;1 black powder jag for .50 cal. guns ;14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops;12 gun jags; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×1 1/2" cleaning patches; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottles.
- Built to last. The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic.We never use cheap plastic. Brushes of different materials(brass brush,nylon brush and copper brush) can handle different surfaces.
- Carrying Case Design. The portable case holds all components keep neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic case.The carrying handles increase the convenience of packaging and carrying.
- After-sales Service: Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please feel free to contact us, we are willing to help you.
- Ladder Damascus Tracker Knife Hunting Knives Ram Horn Handle with Wood Inlay Blank +Sheath
- Dimensions: 9.5 inches Approximate Overall Length, 4.5 inches Approximate Blade Length, 4.5 inches Approximate Handle Length, 1.825 inches Widest Part of Blank, Approximately 5mm Thick (3/16+ inch)
- High quality 1095 steel construction. Includes high quality brown or black leather sheath. This is a right-handed draw sheath when worn on the belt at the back (scout style).
- Ladder damascus pattern
- Blade comes sharpened. A final edge may be applied for an even sharper razor edge.
- ALL IN ONE.3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, and shotguns; 14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black power jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottle.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS.The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic. All tools are carefully constructed to fit into a gun barrel without damaging the grooves inside of it.
- PORTABLE CARRYING CASE.Keep all cleaning components nice and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case! Using a carring handle to increase portability.
- UNIVERSAL GUN CLEANING KIT.The gun cleaning kit supplies for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistols.Everything you need to clean common caliber guns in one case.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.
- 【Best Christmas Gift Ideas】This is a professional emergency survival equipment, equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch, used to store 72 pieces of emergency survival equipment and emergency supplies, designed for camping, hiking, hunting and mountain biking adventure trips, to meet any medical or emergency needs.
- 【Convenient & Portable】Equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch can meet the storage needs of all emergency supplies, do not worry about losing it. Lightweight backpack size, easy to carry and store, can be conveniently placed anywhere in cars, ATVs, yachts, ships, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
- 【Premium & Durable】Tactical flashlight, bracelet, tactical knife, fishing equipment set, 60 PCS first aid supply etc., are made of high-quality material, providing excellent safety and durability, meeting emergency and medical needs, making your camping, wilderness survival or hiking trips easier and more convenient
- 【Great Gift Idea for Outdoors Man 】 - Funny gifts and Christmas Day Gifts for Him Husband Men Dad Boyfriend. A nice gift for outdoor adventurers, military personnel, campers, hikers, hunters teen boy scouts or even constant travelers
- 【100% Satisfaction Service】: Huiming is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We proudly offer the exclusive 60-days hassle-free return over all products. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, If you have any issue about the survival kit, feel free to contact us
- Deer Hunting Birthday Banner is sure to be a hit for your family and friends Deer Hunting themed happy birthday party! The addition of this precious and sparkle Deer Hunting banner will be the perfect touch to any ages Deer Hunting birthday decorations.
- Package Includes: 2 PCS Deer Hunting theme Happy Birthday banner.Deer Hunting Happy Birthday Banner is pre-strung. Each banner is approx. 45 inches in length. Made of high quality glitter black cardstock, the reverse side is white.
- PERMIUM QUALITY:Deer Hunting happy birthday banner is made of premium glitter black/orange/gold/green/red/brown card stock with single sided glitter cardstocks.Sturdy cardstock and glitter will not shed off.
- PRE-ASSEMBLED:Deer Hunting Themed Happy birthday banner will comes fully assembled and NO DIY, just unpack and hang it on the wall or other places you want to decorate.
- EXCELLENT DESIGN BY Ohiviaaa: This Deer Hunting birthday decorations is great for Deer Hunting theme 1st birthday, 2nd birthday, baby shower, happy birthday party supplies. They are a fun way to decorate your home, hotel room or restaurant for Deer Hunting themed bday party. These also make great photo props!
- This Hunting Camo Party Pack is perfect for your hunting birthday party, camo party, fishing party, summer bash and all events!
- (16) 9” Camo Party Plates (16) Luncheon Camo Napkins
- (16) 9oz Hunting Party Cups (1) Happy Birthday Banner
- (1) Deer Hunting Camo Wall Decoration (1) Hunting Camo Tablecloth (1) Aloha Sugar Cake Cutter (1) Aloha Sugar Signature Party Planning Checklist
- Moms can relax and celebrate in style by having all of these hunting birthday party decorations together in one easy pack! Bust out your hunting gear and put on your camo for the ultimate hunting theme birthday party with our vibrant, camo party supplies designed just for hunting parties!
- 7.5 inches overall length
- Stainless steel blade
- Has bone handle
- Full tang knife
- Has leather sheath
- 8 inches overall length
- Stainless steel blade
- Burned bone handle
- Stainless steel bolster
- Leather sheath
- DIMENSIONS: Long blade is14 inches overall with an 8.75-inch blade and a 5.25-inch handle. Short blade is 8 inches overall with a 4-inch blade and a 4-inch handle.
- DOUBLE STRENGTH: Both knives in this set have blades made with incredibly durable 3cr13 stainless steel for strength, edge retention and rust resistance.
- POWERFUL: Each knife has a wooden handle with finger grooves for a strong comfortable hold and brass guard and pommel for safety and stability.
- DESIGN: Matching in styles each knife is a classic clip-point blade with a red-stained wooden handle accompanied by an authentic brown leather double-sheath for a natural outdoor look.
- MUST-HAVE: This set is highly functional and an excellent go-to tool for hunters, hikers, campers, fishing and any other outdoor need and the two sizes offer ability to take on any job large or small.