With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit.This durable case can be used to clean all types pistols, rifles and muzzleloaders.Everything you need to clean for every gun in the case.No matter you are a new beginners or a professional shooters,the case suitable for you.
- Gun cleaning accessories.You'll get 3 solid brass rods for .17-.270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for .30 and over caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders;1 black powder jag for .50 cal. guns ;14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops;12 gun jags; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×1 1/2" cleaning patches; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottles.
- Built to last. The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic.We never use cheap plastic. Brushes of different materials(brass brush,nylon brush and copper brush) can handle different surfaces.
- Carrying Case Design. The portable case holds all components keep neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic case.The carrying handles increase the convenience of packaging and carrying.
- After-sales Service: Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please feel free to contact us, we are willing to help you.
- English (Publication Language)
- 400 Pages - 07/01/2012 (Publication Date) - Skyhorse (Publisher)
- Material: the balaclava full face mask is made of polyester mainly, soft and comfortable to wear, the nice outdoor sports equipment for cold weather
- Protection function: this winter windproof headwear can protect your face, ears and neck from sun, snow and cold air, keep warm and dry, and give you a comfortable wearing experience
- Wide usages: you can use the face mask with helmets or hats, can wear it in various outdoor sports and activities such as motorcycle, skiing, hunting, running, tactical training, mountain climbing, snow processing, hiking, etc.
- Nice feature: it has enough length to give you better protection, it has a ventilated part to increase the breathability for the nose and mouth, it doesn't affect your talk or breath when you wear it
- Package contents: you will receive 3 pieces full face masks, different styles are provided for you to choose from, enough quantities can satisfy your demands for daily replacement
- TANKLESS WATER HEATER VALVE KIT: Watts LFTWH-FT-HCN service valve kit for tankless water heater valves simplify the installation, maintenance and operation of tankless water heaters.
- SERVICE VALVE KIT FOR TANKLESS WATER HEATER: The tankless water heater service valve kit replaces up to 18 fittings and 16 connections used in typical tankless water heater installations, color-coded tee handle. Optional pressure relief and check valve.
- MULTIPLE CONNECTION VALVE KIT: They are available in two valve sets or as a single valve with female threaded, union or quick-connect end options. The service valve kits are available with or without a relief valve. Facilitate service and maintenance with cold water inlet and hot water outlet valves certified to NSF/ANSI 61.
- LEAD FREE VALVE KIT: The wetted surface of our Lead Free products contacted by consumable water contain less than one quarter of one percent (0.25 percent) of lead by weight.
- WATER SERVICE VALVE KIT: Purge/drain ports allow regular cleaning to remove scale build-up. The kit includes LF4L - Lead free poppet type pressure relief valves for protection against excessive pressure and LFTWH - Lead Free Tankless Water Heater Valves.
- Bushcraft 101 A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- Canterbury, Dave (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 256 Pages - 09/01/2014 (Publication Date) - Adams Media (Publisher)
- ✔️ PERFECT SET - You'll Love The Hunting & Military Party Design!
- ✔️ INCLUDES - Everything You Need In One Camouflage Kit. Comes With Plates (16), Napkins (16), and Table Cover 54" x 102" (1).
- ✔️ PACKAGING BY NW SALES LLC - You'll Love Having Everything in One Easy, Hassle-Free Package!
- ✔️ HIGH-QUALITY - 100% Safe and Non-toxic for Kids and Adults! Made from Solid, Durable Paper Material Which Won't Fold While Carrying Food. Great for Desserts and Party Food.
- ✔️ SAVE TIME & ENERGY - Designed for Disposable Use. Do You Hate to Clean Up the Mess After a Whole Day Of Setting Up? This Set is a Simple way to Hold Your Birthday Party and Cleaning is a Cinch.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- David Holder (Director)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- Dimensions: 12 Inches in overall length with a 4.5-inch handle. 7.5 inches in blade length, 1.5-inch width and 3mm thickness
- Durable: Hunting knife comes with a heavy-duty clip-point blade made from stainless steel with edge retention and treated for corrosion resistance for reliable and long-lasting use
- Handling: This bowie knife features a comfortable wooden handle with carved finger ridges and stainless-steel guard and pommel for a strong sturdy hold, easy maneuvering and safe handling
- Design: Dark brown wooden handle elegantly complemented with two this red stripe accents for a natural look with a sleek light brown hand-stitched leather sheath for convenient carry and travel
- Use: Excellent tactical knife, defense knife, survival knife and outdoor knife perfect for activities such as hiking, camping, sawing, cutting, fishing, and hunting.
- 9 Chapter Business Plan (MS Word and Excel) - Full Industry Research
- 8 Chapter Marketing Plan (MS Word and Excel)
- 425+ Page Funding Directory!
- Everything you Need to Know About Starting a Hunting Supply Store (How To Guide)
- PowerPoint Presentation Included!