With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- Dimensions: 19x12x8 inch 100% brushed polyester farbic with PVC water resistant coating
- Natural tree and leaf printing for maximum camouflage during hunting
- Large front pocket with 2 side water bottle pockets for storage of camo netting ghillie suit and any other hunting accessories
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps for total comfort Chest belt for better fits
- Reminds: the printing is random with different part of wetland dry grass reed
- NECK GAITER – One size fits all. (Available Colors: Subalpine, Elevated II, Timber, Open Country, and Marsh)
- COMFORT AND COVER – Lightweight and ultra-breathable, the CORE Neck Gaiter keeps the sun off your neck and pulls up for concealment when things heat up.
- SITKA Gear – We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality apparel that ensures you’re prepared to tackle any obstacle, in any element, under any condition. Check out our storefront to view our complete line up of industry leading products.
- Tracker Knife - Stag Handle, Hammered Damascus Hunting Skinning Knives Blades Blade Knife
- Dimensions: 9.5 inches Approximate Overall Length, 4.5 inches Approximate Blade Length, 4.5 inches Approximate Handle Length, 1.825 inches Widest Part of Blank, Approximately 5mm Thick (3/16+ inch)
- High quality 1095 steel construction. Includes high quality brown or black leather sheath. This is a right-handed draw sheath when worn on the left hip and a left-handed draw sheath when worn on the back (scout style).
- Ladder damascus pattern
- Blade comes sharpened. A final edge may be applied for an even sharper razor edge.
- Package includes: you will receive 1 piece birthday banner, 6 pieces swirls, 6 pieces swirls hanging cards, 3 pieces honeycomb table decor, there are 16 pieces of decorations in total, a sufficient quantity is enough to meet your party decorations needs, these accessories that match the theme of the hunter party are carefully selected for you, hope you can make full use of them
- Cool design: these hunter decorations are made into the shapes of deer,bear and tree, these classic hunter elements will attract the attention of boys and girls who are fond of hunter,they will be interested in these diverse hunter decorations, colorful hunter decorations may make your party become cheerful and interesting
- Reliable material: the hanging swirls are made from quality flashing PVC, spiral ornaments card paper are all made of paper, while hunter desktop decorations are made of durable paper and the color is not easy to fade, can be folded and stored after use, can be applied repeatedly
- Enjoy the fun of DIY decoration: the happy birthday banner has been assembled for you in advance, you only need to assemble these hanging swirls and hunter table decorations, and you are able to easily hang these spirals with other hunter themed decorations on the walls, ceilings, yards, porches, trees and other indoor as well as outdoor places to add attraction to your party
- Delightful atmosphere: these funny hunter decorations are suitable for decorating hunter themed party, such as birthday parties, friends gatherings, baby showers, etc.; They can also be applied as delicate photo props, you are able to stand in front of the banner, hold the desktop decors and hold your posture, and request others to take some lovely photos for you, enjoy this joyous time, because it may become an unforgettable memory for you
- Steel leg iron construction with rust proof finish
- Adjustable high impact plastic molded cuff with integrated padding
- 4” wide upper calf strap provides maximum security during climbing
- 350 lbs. weight capacity with gear
- Meets ASTM F887 standard
- HIGH QUALITY DAMASCUS STEEL KNIFE: Each fixed blade is handcrafted and offers perfect edge retention. Excellent durability guaranteed. 15N25 and 1080 and 288 layers of Damascus steel.
- DIMENSIONS: Overall Length: 10 inches; Blade Length: 4.80 inches; Handle Length: 5.20inches; Knife Weight: 235g. This camping knife will enhance your survival gear.
- COMFORTABLE GRIP: Handmade hunting knife with ergonomic artisanal walnut wood handle. Strong and comfortable grip with metal safety guard gives this knife rugged style and balance
- MULTIPURPOSE: We don't care if you're more of a Rambo knife, a Bear Grylls knife, or a knife lover type cowboy knife. This one is yours for hunting, camping, hiking, skinning, fishing, or any outdoor task.
- STUNNING LEATHER SHEATH: Our Damascus steel knife is not a pocket knife. It;s a sheathed fixed blade knife with integrated EDC belt loop and snap closure. Easy to access and portable. A beauty to behold.
- REALISTIC CAMO COATING: Elaborated camouflage pattern keeps you hidden in the forest. Integrated slope compensation mode which allows you to accurately fire a rifle that has been calibrated for horizontal targets at uphill or downhill targets
- MULTI-PURPOSE RANGE FINDER: The most cost-effective rangefinder you can find on the market to provide you every thing you need for hunting, bowhunting, golf and other professional application with reliable product quality and after sales service
- INTEGRATED TECHS: Provide high-precision distance measurement. Integrates latest functions such as continuous range readings, ARC (angled range compensation), Pin-Seeking, Vibration and Speed Measuring
- DEPENDABLE PERFORMANCE: Measuring range from 5 to 1200 yards (depending on weather condition), with +/- 1m high accuracy and 6x magnification. The flagpole locking function support a distance up to 150 yards. Our rangfinder can meet most user’s needs
- RISK FREE: We AILEMON proudly provide a 1-year warranty. If you meet any quality issue with our product, we’ll directly send a new one or a full refund is optional
- ✿ Exceptional Value - (6) pack 9-LED flashlights AND (18) total AAA batteries INCLUDED( Each flashlight requires 3×AAA batteries). Start using your flashlights right away when they arrive! Perfect for home, auto, gifts, and emergency situations.
- ✿ High Lumen Output - Beam range-59Ft. Wide area of visibility for almost any situation. Easily find your way walking in the dark or reading your book at night. Simple push button operation makes them easy ON/OFF.
- ✿ Attractive, Impact Resistant and Secure Hard plastic body design in (6) FUN colors(Pink, Red, Orange, Gray, Teal, Blue).
- ✿ Lightweight And Compact - Small and pocket-friendly for on-the-go activities. Great for walking the dog, camping, hiking, hunting, and more.
- ✿ The slip-proof case design and lanyard help guard against unnecessarily drops but the durable body protects the product in the case of a fall.
- Dimensions: 12 Inches in overall length with a 4.5-inch handle. 7.5 inches in blade length, 1.5-inch width and 3mm thickness
- Durable: Hunting knife comes with a heavy-duty clip-point blade made from stainless steel with edge retention and treated for corrosion resistance for reliable and long-lasting use
- Handling: This bowie knife features a comfortable wooden handle with carved finger ridges and stainless-steel guard and pommel for a strong sturdy hold, easy maneuvering and safe handling
- Design: Dark brown wooden handle elegantly complemented with two this red stripe accents for a natural look with a sleek light brown hand-stitched leather sheath for convenient carry and travel
- Use: Excellent tactical knife, defense knife, survival knife and outdoor knife perfect for activities such as hiking, camping, sawing, cutting, fishing, and hunting.
- Balaclava keeps your head and neck concealed,It provides protection in the cooler months
- 180gsm adaptable elasticized fabric, allow for a comfortable fit and easy movement on an active hunt.
- 4-way stretch design allows greater mobility while maintaining shape.
- The hunting mask has centre breathing panel,reduces moisture buildup and aids ventilation
- Hood headwear using multi-use design allows you to adjust neck for greater ventilation