With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- 1.Face laser perforation design: You will get a natural camouflage when hunting. This camo face mask is made of heat-insulating material and has a unique facial perforation design, which can increase breathability, so that you will not feel stuffy while keeping warm, and our hunting face mask is well tailored to fit the face without pinching the nose. It is suitable for wearing helmets and goggles, keeping warm while maintaining breathability, and will not blur the goggles.
- 2.Ultimate comfort: Made of 92% polyester and 8% spandex, keep you warm in the wind and cold, easy to clean and dry quickly, has good breathability. It’s resistant to pilling&deformation, non-fading, can also absorb peculiar smell, and can fit the head well and not easily move. The super stretch fabric can hold the neck guard in place without slipping. Can be adjusted to suit all face shapes and most head sizes, suitable for people with a head circumference of 25 inches or less.
- 3.Thick fabric design: The weight of our balaclava is 0.66 pounds, far exceeding the weight of ordinary cotton face masks. Polar fleece granular material can provide the best protection for your face and head in cold environments. The small pockets on both sides can block the wind and keep warm. The cloth masks play a huge role in protecting against wind, dust and ultraviolet rays, and is suitable for riding motorcycles or engaging in outdoor sports.
- 4.Great gifts: Our balaclava face mask makes great gifts for hunters! A perfect hunting accessory, it is very suitable for women, men and children. Our winter face mask can be used for skiing, horseback riding, fishing, snowboarding, motorcycling, hiking, or rock climbing. You can wear this hunting mask alone and use it as a full-face mask and hat, or open the balaclava for use as a semi-ski mask or bandana face mask. You can also wear it under a helmet and wear glasses or goggles.
- 5. Buy with confidence: Our ski mask keeps you warm, dry and comfortable all day long, and is well protected for outdoor activities. We specialize in manufacturing outdoor products. If you have any questions or dissatisfaction with our balaclava camo face mask for any reason, please feel free to contact us. We will help you solve the problem within 24 hours.
- 6,6.25,5.5,5.5,5.0 inches in overall length
- Stainless steel blades
- Pakkawood handles
- Full tang knife
- Black Nylon sheath
- ✅【Exclusive 250 PCS First Aid Survival Kit Contained a Military Molle EMT Pouch】Uniquely customized by U.S military veterans, field tested by EX- Army Sergent, designed to get you well-prepared in an emergency situation. The kit combines 241 PCS First Aid Supply with 9 powerful Survival Gear into a Must-Have EDC emergency kit.
- ✅【Comprehensive First Aid Treatment Exceeds OSHA Guidelines For Single Family】The kit contains more than enough supply to treat a single family or a group of friends under emergency circumstances. Perfect for taking care of any medical or emergency needs during outdoor wilderness adventures such as camping, boy scouts, hiking, hunting and mountain biking, etc.
- ✅【Molle Compatible, Durable, Portable, and Water-Resistant】The military grade EMT bag was made from 1000D water-resistant nylon, it offers three large compartments and plenty of rooms to add your own gear. The overall dimension of the kit is 8’’ x 6.5’’ x 5’’ and weight only 1.9 lbs. The molle compatible straps on the back allow the user to attach it to other bags or your belt, which made it a perfect companion for any outdoor activities.
- ✅【Top Quality Survival Gears Designed to Last】Includes the most popular survival necessities: 3-mode tactical flashlight, multi-function paracord bracelet (compass, whistle), flint stone, knife, saber card, two glow sticks and rain poncho
- ✅【Veteran Owned Company 5 – Star Customer Support】: Everlit is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, all original Everlit products are covered under 1-year satisfaction warranty.
- Professional Design: The mesh breathing holes in the middle of the face mask for reducing stuffiness in summer and releasing excess moisture preventing condensation build-up on glasses.
- All-Round sun protection: Upgrade fabric delivers freely breathe and UPF 50+ sun protection. The built-in hood, neck gaiter and Thumb holes make it easy to cover your head and hands for complete sun protection.
- Design Inspiration: When designing the patterns, we focus on how animals observe things, imitating the colors of the vegetation on the shore to the greatest extent. Help you to gear up effective concealment.
- Occasion: The tag-free collar and flat-lock seams to deliver friction-free and increase comfort, perfect for fishing, hunting, hiking and any outdoor sports, it is also a popular gift for men you can choose on Fishing Day and Fishing Competition.
- FISHEAL: Quality achieves dreams, Honesty and Service determine the future. FISHEAL supplies performance outdoor clothing to excite anglers' pursuit and exploration of life, provides professional customer service and welcomes your ideas and suggestions.
- Hands Free LED Headlamp: Great for all work situations when you just need to see better. No more trying to hold a flashlight and work with one hand when you really need two hands. For running, walking, fishing, hunting, hiking, cycling, reading, caving, auto repair & emergency kit or DIY as a waist lamp, Helmet Light, bike headlight.
- 4 Mode Head Lamp: Choose between LOW MODE, MEDIUM MODE, HIGH MODE, STROBE MODE as your demand. Red warning light on the back of the head-torch plays a good warning role. The head of this lamp is 90° adjustable for down, choose different angle, down or in between.
- Custom Made Comfort – This head lamp isn’t just durable, it’s also designed for maximum comfort. It is the ideal headlamp accessories for runners and outdoor adventurers. Its adjustable sizing makes it a custom made head light for your head.
- Rechargeable Headlight: Powered by 2* 18650 Rechargeable Batteries. Wall adapter and car charger enables you to recharge the device, could last working up to 1-3 hours (under full charge) . Headlight comes in a premium aluminum and plastic casing, comfortable, light and stable in use.
- Free Quality After-Sales Service: We stand behind our products with our Unconditional Satisfaction Guarantee,If you have any issues with our LED headlamp, we will gladly replace it at no cost to you or refund, we're here to make things right.
- Country Of Origin : China
- The package height of the product is 5 inches
- The package length of the product is 3.5 inches
- The package width of the product is 0.5 inches
- Dimensions: 19x12x8 inch 100% brushed polyester farbic with PVC water resistant coating
- Natural tree and leaf printing for maximum camouflage during hunting
- Large front pocket with 2 side water bottle pockets for storage of camo netting ghillie suit and any other hunting accessories
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps for total comfort Chest belt for better fits
- Reminds: the printing is random with different part of wetland dry grass reed
- CLEANLINESS: Large 6” x 8”, heavy duty wipes that is perfect for cleaning up after any outdoor activity and even when nature calls
- TEXTURED MATERIAL: Perfect for use on your entire body that will leave your skin feeling clean and refreshed
- DURABLE DESIGN: Sheets will not tear or punch through like some other cloths
- USE ANYWHERE: Great to keep in your hunting and fishing bag. Also great for sports, camping, hiking and biking
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: 100% Biodegradable pre-moistened cleansing formula
- 【INTEGRATED FUNCTIONS】TideWe rangefinder offers 6x magnification, and displays a straight-line vertical distance, horizontal distance, and speed to your target. We also have scaning function allowing you to continuously scan all factors influencing your play.
- 【Fast Accurate Reading】Our rangefinder is a premium product with advanced technology that accurately ranges from 3 to 1000 yards. It provides fast measurements within +/- 1 yard. Measuring speed is
- 【LIGHTWEITH & DURABLE】The weight is only 0.35lb, which makes it compact and portable. Our rangfinder is perfect for hunting or shooting at targets. Specs (Dimensions) are 4.12” x 2.61” x 1.50”. Made from strong and durable materials to protect from drops while hunting or hiking! It’s also weather resistant, so it’s capable of enduring the harshest hunting conditions.
- 【EASY TO USE】You simply point the target, push a button, and you get almost instantaneous precision range data on an easy-to-read LCD display. Short press MODE button to select different mode. Long press Power button to scan the distance. You can Adjust the sight according to “+” and “-”on the adjust focus knob. Long press "MODE" button to switch “Meter” and “Yards” .
- 【USER FRIENDLY】Equipped with 750MAH rechargeable Li-ion battery, it can measure 20000 times after a fully charge. It is built with clear LCD display, which can help you get clear image even in low light conditions. The included lanyard makes the Rangefinder easy to keep handy. With ergonomic design, you can handle it comfortably. TideWe range finder features the popular camo pattern to help you stay completely hidden in the woods. We also provide a bag to save the rangefinder.