With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- English (Publication Language)
- 400 Pages - 07/01/2012 (Publication Date) - Skyhorse (Publisher)
- Bushcraft 101 A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
- Canterbury, Dave (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 256 Pages - 09/01/2014 (Publication Date) - Adams Media (Publisher)
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit.This durable case can be used to clean all types pistols, rifles and muzzleloaders.Everything you need to clean for every gun in the case.No matter you are a new beginners or a professional shooters,the case suitable for you.
- Gun cleaning accessories.You'll get 3 solid brass rods for .17-.270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for .30 and over caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders;1 black powder jag for .50 cal. guns ;14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops;12 gun jags; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×1 1/2" cleaning patches; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottles.
- Built to last. The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic.We never use cheap plastic. Brushes of different materials(brass brush,nylon brush and copper brush) can handle different surfaces.
- Carrying Case Design. The portable case holds all components keep neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic case.The carrying handles increase the convenience of packaging and carrying.
- After-sales Service: Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please feel free to contact us, we are willing to help you.
- 【Best Christmas Gift Ideas】This is a professional emergency survival equipment, equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch, used to store 72 pieces of emergency survival equipment and emergency supplies, designed for camping, hiking, hunting and mountain biking adventure trips, to meet any medical or emergency needs.
- 【Convenient & Portable】Equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch can meet the storage needs of all emergency supplies, do not worry about losing it. Lightweight backpack size, easy to carry and store, can be conveniently placed anywhere in cars, ATVs, yachts, ships, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
- 【Premium & Durable】Tactical flashlight, bracelet, tactical knife, fishing equipment set, 60 PCS first aid supply etc., are made of high-quality material, providing excellent safety and durability, meeting emergency and medical needs, making your camping, wilderness survival or hiking trips easier and more convenient
- 【Great Gift Idea for Outdoors Man 】 - Funny gifts and Christmas Day Gifts for Him Husband Men Dad Boyfriend. A nice gift for outdoor adventurers, military personnel, campers, hikers, hunters teen boy scouts or even constant travelers
- 【100% Satisfaction Service】: Huiming is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We proudly offer the exclusive 60-days hassle-free return over all products. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, If you have any issue about the survival kit, feel free to contact us
- [152 in 1 Survival Kit]: Taimasi emergency survival kit is unique in that it was specifically designed and curated by survival experts. The comprehensive survival system not only includes 22pcs multipurpose survival tools and a emergency tent and blanket, but it also offers 45pcs first aid kit, 50pcs disposable gloves and a fishing tools set which can meet your different needs and solve problem of looking for food outdoors.
- [Practical Survival Gears For Any Emergency]: Providing many popular survival tools and essentials to survive in the wilderness or disasters. An folding knife and steel wire saw for cutting wood or bone; work gloves to protect your hands while clearing rubble or other chores; 32.8ft parachute cord & emergency tent to assist you in creating a makeshift shelter; thermal blanket for retain 90% of body heat. It also comes with folding pliers, saber card, flashlight, fire starter, compass etc.
- [Basic First Aid Kit]: Comes with a first aid kit with bright red bag which includes essential items such as tweezers, scissors and pins, bandages, would pad, bandage triangulaire, cotton buds etc. They can help stop the worsening of bleeding from minor injuries, mobilize injured limbs and even dress wounds to prevent infections.
- [Lightweight & Convenient]: To keep your kit small and lightweight enough so you can carry it at all times, all the items comes in a camo bag with a size of 8” x 6.5” x 6”. It is made of 600D nylon, has dual zippers & interior storage design. You can attach it to other molle compatible backpack or combat vest or belt by using its back attachment straps or removal velcro panel. Great gift idea for people who loves hiking, hunting, camping, car travel, wilderness adventure.
- [Must Have Survival Gear]: Having an emergency kit can get you well-prepared in advance to emergencies during outdoor adventure, hunting, camping, hiking, travel, natural disasters such as earthquake, tornado, flood and fire. It’s perfect to keep you prepared to stay warm, dry, and comfortable even if your car breaks down at the worst time. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us so we can get you taken care of in 24hours.
- 6,6.25,5.5,5.5,5.0 inches in overall length
- Stainless steel blades
- Pakkawood handles
- Full tang knife
- Black Nylon sheath
- 【Professional Emergency Survival Kit】This is a professional emergency survival equipment, equipped with a large-capacity first aid backpack, used to store 32 pieces of emergency survival equipment and emergency supplies, designed for camping, hiking, hunting and mountain biking adventure trips, to meet any medical or emergency needs.
- 【Premium & Durable】Tactical flashlight, tactical pen, bracelet, compass, whistle, tactical knife, fishing equipment set, etc., are made of high-quality material, providing excellent safety and durability, meeting emergency and medical needs, making your camping, wilderness survival or hiking trips easier and more convenient, without worrying about getting lost
- 【Convenient & Portable】Equipped with a large-capacity backpack can meet the storage needs of all emergency supplies, do not worry about losing it. Lightweight backpack size, easy to carry and store, can be conveniently placed anywhere in cars, ATVs, yachts, ships, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
- 【Widely Applicable】This first aid survival gear and equipment set is great for tactical doctors, military personnel, police, firefighters, first aid personnel, hikers, campers, outdoor sports enthusiasts, etc. It is idea for car, ship, bicycles, motorcycles, workplace, travel, shooting, hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, boating, cycling, outdoor sports, wilderness adventure and other activities.
- 【Great Gift for You】The 32 in 1 wild adventure emergency survival equipment kit can meet your different needs in identifying direction, emergencies and medical care, allowing you to camp, explore, and travel worry-free. It is a great gift for yourself, family, friends, father, son. Just enjoy a more relaxed and safe adventure with it.
- ALL IN ONE.3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, and shotguns; 14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black power jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottle.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS.The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic. All tools are carefully constructed to fit into a gun barrel without damaging the grooves inside of it.
- PORTABLE CARRYING CASE.Keep all cleaning components nice and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case! Using a carring handle to increase portability.
- UNIVERSAL GUN CLEANING KIT.The gun cleaning kit supplies for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistols.Everything you need to clean common caliber guns in one case.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.
- Dimensions: 12 Inches in overall length with a 4.5-inch handle. 7.5 inches in blade length, 1.5-inch width and 3mm thickness
- Durable: Hunting knife comes with a heavy-duty clip-point blade made from stainless steel with edge retention and treated for corrosion resistance for reliable and long-lasting use
- Handling: This bowie knife features a comfortable wooden handle with carved finger ridges and stainless-steel guard and pommel for a strong sturdy hold, easy maneuvering and safe handling
- Design: Dark brown wooden handle elegantly complemented with two this red stripe accents for a natural look with a sleek light brown hand-stitched leather sheath for convenient carry and travel
- Use: Excellent tactical knife, defense knife, survival knife and outdoor knife perfect for activities such as hiking, camping, sawing, cutting, fishing, and hunting.
- 【WIDE-ANGLE AND HD VIEW】High quality precision design featuring all glass high end optics, (FMC Superior BAK-4 Green Film Prism), The High Power monocular telescope provides 8X magnification with 42mm objective diameter wide lens, 360ft/1000yards of large field of view, let you have the best view in outdoor adventures
- 【LIFE-WATERPROOF, FOGPROOF, DUST-PROOF, SHOCKPROOF】Nitrogen-filled waterproof, This monocular built in lens dust cover can prevent lens from dust/moisture/debris, make sure you see everything in a clear detail. Its rubber finish has shock resistance, durable external protection makes it usable to withstand the tough weather conditions
- 【High Quality】The 8x42 monocular is made of high quality material. Large BAK-4 Prism and FMC Fully Multi-coated Lens Elements strengthen the key function of a monocular. High light transmittance reaches up to 99.9%. Light reflection and minimal distortion, multi coated optics guarantee superior light transmission and brightness. Low-light-level night vision built-in design help you see things in low light
- 【Comfortable Convenient】This compact monocular (5.7''x1.9''x1.5'') is convenient to use by single hand. Adjustable eye cups can be easily and rapidly twisted up and down for optimal viewing with or without glasses. Rubber armor with stripes increases the friction, keeps it from slipping out from your hand. The monocular scope also comes with hand strap and carry case, There also has a tripod connector at the bottom of monocular offers steady viewing when connect a monocular tripod
- 【Wide Application And Satisfaction Warranty】The Easy focusing HD monocular perfect for Hiking, Hunting, Climbing, Bird watching, Watching Wildlife and Scenery, Golf, Scope, Surveillance, concerts and travelling etc. Come with friendly customer service, 30-days hassle-free money back guarantee and LIFETIME WARRANTY. NO ANY worries about your purchase. Also a great gift for your family or friends