With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit.This durable case can be used to clean all types pistols, rifles and muzzleloaders.Everything you need to clean for every gun in the case.No matter you are a new beginners or a professional shooters,the case suitable for you.
- Gun cleaning accessories.You'll get 3 solid brass rods for .17-.270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for .30 and over caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders;1 black powder jag for .50 cal. guns ;14 brass brushes; 9 bore mops;12 gun jags; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×1 1/2" cleaning patches; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes;2 empty bottles.
- Built to last. The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass .The jags are made of high nylon plastic.We never use cheap plastic. Brushes of different materials(brass brush,nylon brush and copper brush) can handle different surfaces.
- Carrying Case Design. The portable case holds all components keep neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic case.The carrying handles increase the convenience of packaging and carrying.
- After-sales Service: Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please feel free to contact us, we are willing to help you.
- Balaclava keeps your head and neck concealed,It provides protection in the cooler months
- 180gsm adaptable elasticized fabric, allow for a comfortable fit and easy movement on an active hunt.
- 4-way stretch design allows greater mobility while maintaining shape.
- The hunting mask has centre breathing panel,reduces moisture buildup and aids ventilation
- Hood headwear using multi-use design allows you to adjust neck for greater ventilation
- ✅ 8 Piece Big Game Field Dressing Kit In Box: 8-3/4" Wood/Bone Saw, Steel Stick/Brisket Spreader, 7.5" Caping Knife, 9.5" Gut Hook Skinner, 10" Boning Knife, Tungsten Carbide V-Sharpener, Red Game Cleaning Gloves
- ✅ 8.7" Wood & Bone Saw: This bone saw with the clever blunt hooked tip would avoid breaking the bladder or intestines virtually, ensuring meat not harmed during dressing. The serrations are configured to increase efficiency with T-handle and innovative hook tip, 5" serrations, 1.9mm thickness, 4.1 oz
- ✅ 7.5" Caping Knife: This smaller fixed blade caping knife with 3.4 " blade features finer point and smaller scale, more suitable for smaller game, 2.85 mm thickness, 2.8 oz
- ✅ 9.4" Gut Hook Skinner: This fixed blade hunting knife features a 3.9" fine edge blade with gut hook, 3.2 mm thickness, 6.3 oz, designed for quick and efficient processing of game
- ✅ Material & Design: Each stainless steel item in the field dressing kit is made of 3CR13, equipped with camouflage handles and full tang constructions that offer durability over the long haul
- 【Best Christmas Gift Ideas】This is a professional emergency survival equipment, equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch, used to store 72 pieces of emergency survival equipment and emergency supplies, designed for camping, hiking, hunting and mountain biking adventure trips, to meet any medical or emergency needs.
- 【Convenient & Portable】Equipped with a large-capacity molle pouch can meet the storage needs of all emergency supplies, do not worry about losing it. Lightweight backpack size, easy to carry and store, can be conveniently placed anywhere in cars, ATVs, yachts, ships, bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
- 【Premium & Durable】Tactical flashlight, bracelet, tactical knife, fishing equipment set, 60 PCS first aid supply etc., are made of high-quality material, providing excellent safety and durability, meeting emergency and medical needs, making your camping, wilderness survival or hiking trips easier and more convenient
- 【Great Gift Idea for Outdoors Man 】 - Funny gifts and Christmas Day Gifts for Him Husband Men Dad Boyfriend. A nice gift for outdoor adventurers, military personnel, campers, hikers, hunters teen boy scouts or even constant travelers
- 【100% Satisfaction Service】: Huiming is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We proudly offer the exclusive 60-days hassle-free return over all products. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, If you have any issue about the survival kit, feel free to contact us
- This Hunting Camo Party Pack is perfect for your hunting birthday party, camo party, fishing party, summer bash and all events!
- (16) 9” Camo Party Plates (16) Luncheon Camo Napkins
- (16) 9oz Hunting Party Cups (1) Happy Birthday Banner
- (1) Deer Hunting Camo Wall Decoration (1) Hunting Camo Tablecloth (1) Aloha Sugar Cake Cutter (1) Aloha Sugar Signature Party Planning Checklist
- Moms can relax and celebrate in style by having all of these hunting birthday party decorations together in one easy pack! Bust out your hunting gear and put on your camo for the ultimate hunting theme birthday party with our vibrant, camo party supplies designed just for hunting parties!
- Dimensions: 12 Inches in overall length with a 4.5-inch handle. 7.5 inches in blade length, 1.5-inch width and 3mm thickness
- Durable: Hunting knife comes with a heavy-duty clip-point blade made from stainless steel with edge retention and treated for corrosion resistance for reliable and long-lasting use
- Handling: This bowie knife features a comfortable wooden handle with carved finger ridges and stainless-steel guard and pommel for a strong sturdy hold, easy maneuvering and safe handling
- Design: Dark brown wooden handle elegantly complemented with two this red stripe accents for a natural look with a sleek light brown hand-stitched leather sheath for convenient carry and travel
- Use: Excellent tactical knife, defense knife, survival knife and outdoor knife perfect for activities such as hiking, camping, sawing, cutting, fishing, and hunting.
- REALTREE XTRA CAMO: Our REALTREE Xtra camo pattern blends perfectly year-round in a variety of habitats and seasons. Perfect for fall weather throughout winter, and again in early spring before the summer greenery hits.
- SECURE ELASTIC CUFF: The elastic cuff snugs calf to seal in warmth while keeping cold and debris out. The high-grade rubber exterior provides an additional waterproof barrier for extra toughness in more difficult terrain.
- 4MM NEOPRENE INSULATION: Provides comfort, flexibility, and warmth along with excellent waterproofing and great overall heat retention. The scent free fleece lining provides exceptional warmth in cooler environments, making our boots perfect for the fall to spring seasons.
- 100% WATERPROOF: High-grade rubber exterior provides extra toughness and makes for a 100% waterproof hunting boot; EVA contoured midsole, and the PU comfort insole allows for lightweight cushioning, shock absorption and comfort.
- PRECISE TRACTION AND STABILITY: Aggressive rubber outsole with reinforced toe cap allows for maximum protection and stability with an integrated heel kick for easy on/off.
- 1) 12-MONTH GUARANTEE: Try now the Calissa Offshore Tackle Apollo2 for 30-Days and love it, or we’ll refund every cent. And when you decide “she’s a keeper”, you’re also covered by our 12-Month Factory Defect Guarantee.
- 3) CORROSION RESISTANT: Made from lightweight, breathable polyester, the bag and zip are corrosion and rust resistant – so stay out all day shooting! Also has a rain cover to protect from environmental conditions.
- 4) SIZE MATTERS: We designed this pistol backpack so you can take it all! The front trapdoor fits (5) 9.5” x 7” x 2” pistol pouches (included). The pack is extra large, 18” tall, 14” wide and 8.5” deep. It has removable dividers in the top compartment for magazines, eye and hearing protection
- 5) SHOOTING, NOT FUMBLING: We’ve all seen shooting enthusiasts digging around in their bag, right? Don’t be that guy. With its quick access pockets, and spacious practical size, serious shooters know the Calissa Apollo is the only tackle backpack that keeps you organized.
- ✔️ PERFECT SET - You'll Love The Hunting & Military Party Design!
- ✔️ INCLUDES - Everything You Need In One Camouflage Kit. Comes With Plates (16), Napkins (16), and Table Cover 54" x 102" (1).
- ✔️ PACKAGING BY NW SALES LLC - You'll Love Having Everything in One Easy, Hassle-Free Package!
- ✔️ HIGH-QUALITY - 100% Safe and Non-toxic for Kids and Adults! Made from Solid, Durable Paper Material Which Won't Fold While Carrying Food. Great for Desserts and Party Food.
- ✔️ SAVE TIME & ENERGY - Designed for Disposable Use. Do You Hate to Clean Up the Mess After a Whole Day Of Setting Up? This Set is a Simple way to Hold Your Birthday Party and Cleaning is a Cinch.
- 6,6.25,5.5,5.5,5.0 inches in overall length
- Stainless steel blades
- Pakkawood handles
- Full tang knife
- Black Nylon sheath