With the hunting season underway, you may be considering trying your hand at one of the oldest sports in history. How can you get started and what do you need to bring with you? This article will go over a few important aspects to ensure you know what you’re doing come to the hunting trips and that you’re safe and will enjoy it.
One of the most important aspects to understand about hunting is that there are seasons. You are allowed to legally hunt a given animal when its season is considered to be open. This is determined by the state and a few federal agencies that govern wildlife and conservation.
Typically, seasons are not open during an animal’s mating season. This is to prevent disrupture of that process, so the animals are given the chance to increase their population to healthy numbers. If you’re caught hunting outside of an open season, you could be heavily penalized.
When wondering if the animal you wish to hunt for is in open season, you should check with your state. They determine the period of time in which an animal can be hunted. They also determine your bag size. This essentially means how many animals you’re allowed to kill.
In the event that an animal is diseased, you may be unable to take it back home with you. In this event, you have to return the diseased animal to the local hunting authorities. They’ll dispose of it safely, so the disease doesn’t spread to humans or other animals.
One last aspect to consider about hunting seasons is the kind of weapon that you can use to hunt. Some states may only allow you to hunt with a bow for a period of the season. This may then transition into rifle hunting later on. It’s always a good idea to double-check with your state to determine what weapons are allowed to be used to hunt in that given time.
Animals You Can Hunt
What kind of animals can you hunt in a season? Each state has specific animals that they allow you to hunt in their given season. Not every animal can be hunted in every state. Though there are a few that can be universally hunted, just in their own given season which is determined by the state.
Some of the animals that you may be able to hunt are broken up into a few categories.
The first is Big Game. This includes mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, moose, caribou, bighorn sheep, bear, boar, pronghorn, bison, and javelina.
The second is Small Game. This includes hare, rabbit, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, ring-tailed cat, skunk, armadillo, and ruffed grouse.
The third is Furbearers. These include red fox, beaver, pine marten, mink, otter, muskrat, and bobcat.
The fourth is Predators. They are a cougar (or mountain lion or panther), coyote, and wolf.
The fifth is Upland Game Birds. They include woodcock, grouse, pheasant, chukar, dove, and quail.
The last is waterfowl. They include teal, duck, geese, merganser, and swan.
Each of these animals has its own hunting season and the kind of weapon that can be used to kill it. You can find out when and what from your local state.
Most laws about hunting have to do with when and how much hunting you can do. The when is controlled by the state. Open season is the term given to the period of time when you can hunt a specific animal. A state may also determine what kind of weapons is allowed to be used during that period of the open season.
A closed season is the term given to when an animal is not allowed to be hunted and killed. There are some exceptions given in terms of varmint hunting. Varmint hunting describes the situation in which a person has to kill an animal that is damaging their property or livestock.
Most commonly, these are rats, gophers, coyotes, cougars, and other problematic animals that can cause a lot of damage. Wolves used to be considered a varmint, but they have since been taken off of the list because of their endangered status.
Another key law that covers hunting is how much you can hunt. This law typically is reserved for big game hunting. You have a bag limit which can be determined by an animal’s size, sex, or age. Sometimes bag limits may limit the number of animals you can hunt in a day or in a season.
For a full understanding of bag limits, you can check out your local state’s Department of Natural Resources or their Fish and Wildlife Service department.
When you go hunting for the first time, you might not be sure what you should bring with you. A weapon is a no-brainer, but what else will you need out in the field? That’s entirely dependent on what kind of hunting you’re doing.
For example, if you intend to sit up in a tree and hunt deer, then you’re going to need a blind. A blind is basically a small shelter that you sit in and wait for deer to walk by. The blind is typically camouflaged, so the deer don’t see you and run away.
You’ll also need food, water, and other provisions to keep you alert and energetic. You could be waiting out in the chilly weather for hours. Having something to keep you warm is a great idea. Or you can have a small electric generator that doesn’t generate a lot of noise. This can power certain electric items like a heater or a small cooking stove.
One of the most important things to bring with you on a hunt is first aid items. These include standard first aid items like bandages, compressions, splints, and other medical items. You should be ready for unforeseen situations. Yet it should also include a satellite phone, fall protection if you’re hunting up high, a GPS, and an emergency contact that knows where to find you if you don’t return home at the scheduled time.
Other Hunting Supplies That May Interest You
- A great gadget which enable you to observe target in complete darkness. Ideal for a wide variety of uses such as surveillance, nighttime hunting wildlife observation and exploring caves.
- With multi-coated glass objectives, high sensitivity sensor, integrated color LCD-Screen and 3level IR LED illuminator. You can view in the dark up to 328ft/100m, get the brightness you want.
- Take photos and videos at any time, record more true-to-life details. Also it’s easy to display images and videos on the television and transfer files to a computer, which enables you to share fun with your family and friends.
- Handy and safe —Can be mounted on a tripod, Put into a bag, or linked to a binocular harness. It is covered by rubber on the outface, which gains more friction, not easy to slip out.
- Notice: Regarding the way to open the battery case, you can check photos .Two Year Limited Warranty. Comes with 8GB micro SD card, mini USB cable, AV cable, neck strap and soft carrying case. Requires 4xAA batteries (not included).
- 【MUST HAVE SURVIVAL GEAR KIT】18 in 1 Professional emergency survival kits. Containing: Upgrade compass, Upgrade survival knife, Wire saw, Water Bottle Clip, Emergency Blanket, Flintstone, Scraper, Flashlight, Credit Card Knife, Tactical Pen, Whistle, Mini Light, Carabiner, and Black Waterproof Box.
- 【High-Quality Cold Steel】18 pcs survival kit included to survive in the wilderness. Cold steel tactical knife for cutting; 3 modes Flashlight for bringing enough light; Dual-tube whistle for attracting attention by producing volume up to 120 db; Wire Saw for cutting wood or bone; Multi-function pliers for fixing; Thermal blanket for retain 90% of body heat; There are also bottle buckle, fire starter, carabiner, paracord bracelet, compass, tactical pen for emergency situations.
- 【NECESSARY SOS EQUIPMENT】The multi-purpose survival gear kits contains everything you need when there is any emergency situation occurs like natural disaster or wilderness adventure. Perfectly fits for people who loves hiking, hunting, wilderness survival, etc. Great gift idea for outdoor adventurer, hiker, camper.
- 【Lightweight & Convenient】Easy To Carry mini Size, Dimensions is 6.3 X 4.3 X 1.9 Inches and Weight 1.4 Pounds.This Extremely Useful Kit Can be Placed in a Backpack, Car, Drawers, Pocket or Pouch, or Securely Attached With the Included Ranger Band to your belt, Rucksack Strap, Climbing Gear or Mountain Bike.
- 【PERFECT GIFT】It's necessary when camping, hiking, adventures, survival and in emergency situations. You would find this pretty cool as a stocking stuffer or birthday gift. And also can develop the child's ability to survive with kids hiking and camping kit. Giving a surprise to your Darling.。
- BE READY TO SURVIVE WITHOUT STUFFING YOUR BACKPACK – Find the 5 survival gear essentials in just one bracelet : fire starter, reliable compass, loud emergency whistle, emergency knife and 12 feet of military-grade paracord.
- DON’T STRESS ABOUT GETTING THE SIZE RIGHT – Unlike other options, the Cobra bracelet is adjustable to fit small and big wrists. Perfect outdoor enthusiast’s gift and gadget.
- DID YOU KNOW THAT COLD IS THE #1 CAUSE OF DEATH? – Beat the statistics. In emergency, use the flint steel to start a fire and secure a shelter using the paracord to fight hypothermia.
- BE READY WHEN SHTF – Add the Cobra to your tactical gear or wear it when hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc.
- LIMITED TIME OFFER – Currently comes in a pack of 2 bracelets: one black and one orange+black (see pictures). Includes a lifetime warranty and instructions on how to make a fire. Buy Now.
- Award-winning LifeStraw water filter is a must-carry tool for hiking, camping, travel, and emergencies; no disaster kit is complete without it
- Filters up to 1,000 gallons (4,000 liters) of contaminated water without iodine, chlorine, or other chemicals; does not require batteries and has no moving parts
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites, and filters to 0.2 microns; surpasses EPA filter standards
- An alternative to iodine tablets and bulky purifiers, it weighs 2oz for ultralight portability, and has a high flow rate for drinking from the source
- Comes in a sealed bag, perfect for storing in a bugout bag or other prepper gear supply kit; measures 9 x 1 x 1 inches.BPA Free materials
- All-in-one: Universal cleaning accessory kit for used for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistol cleaning. All you need to clean common caliber guns in a compact case. Our case is designed to keep the pieces in their place, we also included 2 spaces to put you cleaning oil and solvent.
- No Cheap Plastic: All our slotted tips and cleaning jags are made of high quality nylon plastic. Sets from other brands use cheap plastic tips that can easily break after two uses. With this set you will not experience the frustration of having a broken jag/tip inside your gun barrel.
- Helpful & Portable: Keep your guns performing at their best by utilizing this cleaning/maintenance kit. Everything is kept neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case.
- Package:3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders; In addition the Universal Gun Cleaning Kit also has 14 brushes; 9 mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black powder jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.
- 【Exclusive 250 PCS First Aid Survival Kit Contained a Military Molle EMT Pouch】Uniquely customized by U.S military veterans, field tested by EX- Army Sergent, designed to get you well-prepared in an emergency situation. The kit combines 241 PCS First Aid Supply with 9 powerful Survival Gear into a Must-Have EDC emergency kit
- 【Comprehensive First Aid Treatment Exceeds OSHA Guidelines For Single Family】The kit contains more than enough supply to treat a single family or a group of friends under emergency circumstances. Perfect for taking care of any medical or emergency needs during outdoor wilderness adventures such as camping, boy scouts, hiking, hunting and mountain biking, etc.
- 【Molle Compatible, Durable, Portable, and Water-Resistant】The military grade EMT bag was made from 600D water-resistant nylon, it offers three large compartments and plenty of rooms to add your own gear. The overall dimension of the kit is 8’’ x 6.5’’ x 5’’ and weight only 1.9 lbs. The molle compatible straps on the back allow the user to attach it to other bags or your belt, which made it a perfect companion for any outdoor activities.
- 【Top Quality Survival Gears Designed to Last】Includes the most popular survival necessities: 3-mode tactical flashlight, multi-function paracord bracelet (compass, whistle), flint stone, knife, saber card, two glow sticks and rain poncho
- 【Veteran Owned Company 5 – Star Customer Support】: Everlit is committed to providing the most comprehensive customer service. We proudly offer the exclusive 60-days hassle-free return over all products. We stand behind the quality of our inventory, all original Everlit products are covered under 1-year satisfaction warranty.
- WIND-RESISTANT – Protective fabric paneling over face shields against the wind’s bite
- BREATH EASY – Align mesh panel over the mouth for optimal airflow
- HINGED DESIGN – Can be worn in 3 different ways: open face balaclava, neck gaiter or full ski mask
- HIGH-QUALITY THERMAL FLEECE – Warmth in mild to extreme conditions
- LONG LENGTH – Full head & neck coverage that easily tucks into jackets
- Country Of Origin : China
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 5 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 3.5 Inches
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 0.5 Inches
- HUNTING ACCESSORIES KIT: All of the hunting gear you need for the woods. Add these travel bottles to your sport backpack for the ultimate camping supplies set. Stay scent free and clean for your next hunt.
- 10 PIECE KIT: The Scent Eliminator Pack includes (1) 8oz. Laundry Detergent; (1) 12oz. Field Spray; (1) 16oz. Field Spray Refill; (3) Pac-It Refills; (1) Ambush 5-Color Face Paint; (1) 4. 5oz. Bar Soap; (1) Travel Case; (1) SPF 30 Lip Balm.
- KILLS ODORS: Broad-spectrum odor elimination removes all traces of human scent. Contains no biocides. Gentle on humans and the environment so you can use these products freely in the woods or wherever you are.
- SAFE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Enzyme formulations attack the bad bacteria and leave the good bacteria that is beneficial to your skin. All of the preparation you need from the shower to the field.
- AMERICAN MADE: All of the Dead Down Wind camping accessories and hunting accessories in this camping kit are proudly made in the United States and make for great hunting gifts for men.
- Universal Gun Cleaning Kit.This durable case can be used to clean all types pistols, rifles and muzzleloaders.Everything you need to clean for every gun in the case.No matter you are a new beginners or a professional shooters,the case suitable for you.
- Gun cleaning accessories. You'll get 6 solid brass rods;1 powder jag for .50 cal.; 14 brushes; 9 mops;12 plastic jags; 4 slotted tips; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes; 2 empty bottles.
- Built to last. The accessory adapters and cleaning rods are made of high quality brass. Jags are made of high nylon plastic.We never use cheap plastic. Brushes of different materials(brass brush,nylon brush and copper brush) can handle different surfaces.
- Carrying Case Design. The portable case holds all components keep neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic case.The carrying handles increase the convenience of packaging and carrying.
- 2-YEAR GUARANTEE: If you have any problem with the gun cleaning set at all, just contact us. We can provide you with a replacement or refund in the event of a defective unit, and will assist you with any problem you have.