When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- MAX PROTECTION - An innovative hanging system enables easy positioning on a boat or dock offering protection both above and below the rub rail, unlike traditional fenders. *Patents pending
- HUGS CONTOURS - With a hanging point that's lower than traditional fenders, SENTRY hangs at an angle that aligns with the contour of your boat's hull. This keeps SENTRY from getting caught on top of the dock and adds to the beautiful aesthetic of your boat.
- INNOVATIVE MATERIAL - Molded in a cross-linked closed-cell foam that is extremely durable. This patented material doesn't absorb water and resists fading from the sun's harmful UV rays. It also doesn't contain nasty chemicals, like vinyl chloride, so it's more environmentally friendly than traditional fenders.
- NO KNOTS - No ropes, no hassle. An integrated strap easily attaches to boat cleats and docks for super-fast installation.
- TIDY UP - Out of the box SENTRY comes with an extra-long strap. This makes it easy to loop over higher attachment locations like towers and grab rails. If your cleats are in a great spot for hanging SENTRY, you can trim the strap to keep things tidy.
- DROP-THE-HANDLE WAVE PERFORMANCE - ECHO’s solid-panel design and reduced footprint create a clean, surfable wake without significantly impacting your boat’s performance. The upper-cut main panel also offers improved boat compatibility over other wedge-style shapers.
- MORE GRIP, LESS SLIP - ECHO comes equipped with our proprietary HyLoft Suction Cups, which deliver more grip on boat surfaces – unlike off-the-shelf, glass-lifting cups which were designed for lifting flat surfaces, not holding onto the side of a boat.
- BUILT FOR WAKESURFING - ECHO is made with the same cross-linked, closed-cell foam that we use in our SENTRY Fenders, which makes it extremely light, durable, and able to stand the test of time.
- A MORE AFFORDABLE OPTION - ECHO delivers drop-the-rope wave performance without forcing you to break the bank, making it the perfect option for surfers who are just getting into the sport or don’t need a competition-class wake.
- SUPER DURABLE - Features double-reinforced seams and 1280D nylon construction - the same material used in the most demanding naval applications.
- ULTIMATE TIE-UP FENDER - With two heavy-duty D-rings* at each end, hooking up with your friends just got a whole lot easier.
- RAPID DEPLOYMENT - TITAN easily inflates with a standard 12-volt towable tube pump** for short-term use during side-by-side tie-ups between boats up to 27’ with compatible hull shapes.
- STOWS SMALL - TITAN easily stows in most boat lockers with the included mesh storage bag to help transport the fender when it’s not in use.
- EXTRA DURABLE: Made with 1000D nylon – the same material used in highly demanding naval applications – and utilizes drop-stitch construction with double-reinforced seams for added durability.
- SUPER RIGID: At four inches thick, you can stand, jump, climb, and play around on it all day long without worrying that it’s going to sink or deflate.
- NO MORE FOAM BURRITOS: Packs down to fit in most boat lockers and the included storage bag helps protect and transport the mat when it’s not in use.
- FOUR SIZES: Multiple sizes to fit any lake, river, or imagination. Whatever you’ve got in mind, we’ve got a mat for that.
- [Wide Application]: Pivoting compass is ideal for car, boat, marine boat, truck, caravan, etc. Mountable and portable, a good navigation compass for outdoor
- [Premium Material]: Made of high quality plastic material, sturdy and durable for long time use; Corrosion resistant and environmental friendly, the boat compass is suitable for outdoor navigation use
- [High Precision]: Attached accuracy compensator to easily adjust for deviation, which makes the reading more precisely, which will always lead you in the right direction
- [Bracket Mounted Compass]: This compass can be mounted on deck allowing to remain at proper viewing angle for the accurate directions; And supports charging from car and boat; Comes with mounting fittings to fix the compass on car or boat
- [Fast Response and Precise Navigation]: Fast response, high sensibility, keep balance individually, precision engineering reading display, precise dial is clear for easily read
- 15 IN 1 SURVIVAL KIT-This 15 pcs survival kit including survival knife, tactical pen,compass,emergency blanket,fire starter,whistle,survival paracord bracelet,wire saw,multifunctional card, flashlight,key Chain,Band-Aid and waterproof storage box which can be fully prepared for emergency situations in outdoor adventures, hiking, camping, travel, disasters and accidents preparation.
- PORTABLE & PRACTICAL-The TEQUIERO survival tactical gear kit is lightweight and compact for carrying and storing conveniently. The professional tactical survival tool kit can be easily placed in a backpack, car, drawer, pocket,bag or pouch. It can also be fixed to a harness, climbing equipment or mountain bike. It is the perfect first aid kit for going out on an adventure, camping or hunting trip.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS- TEQUIERO emergency survival gadgets are made of high-quality, durable materials, which can withstand the test. Even if it is used for a long time, it can ensure that the accessories are intact. The outdoor survival kit has excellent safety and durability which can help you deal with any kind of emergency or even medical needs.
- WIDELY USED-The 15 in 1 professional survival gear tool kit includes emergency supplies that are suitable for outdoor survival or camping. It is ideal for those who like hiking, hunting, wilderness survival, fishing, outdoor adventure, hiking and outdoor camping.
- GREAT GIFTS CHOICE-This tactical survival gear kit which in a waterproof box is a ideal gift choice for outdoor explorers, hikers and campers.nice gift for men,father,husband,boyfriend as fathers day gifts,Birthday gifts,valentines day gifts,Christmas day gifts.
- ONE SOLUTION FOR ANY SITUATION :: Modern boaters deserve a modern solution for protecting their boats and sausage fenders just don’t cut it anymore. They’re awkward, they shift, they mark, and they wreck the stylish aesthetic of your boat. ICON’s pyramid profile shape prevents it from rolling and shifting, so it’s always in the right place.
- EIGHT ATTACHMENT POINTS :: ICON’s innovative design makes it easy to deploy and offers protection both above and below the rub rail. With eight deployment options, you can attach ICON vertically or horizontally to hug the contours of your boat and adapt to any docking environment. *Patents pending.
- PASS-THROUGH ACCESS :: The large opening in the front face of ICON allows dock lines to pass through in situations where the fender covers the boat cleat. This keeps the lines straight and ICON in perfect alignment.
- INNOVATIVE MATERIAL :: ICON fenders are molded from XL EXTRALIGHT – a revolutionary closed-cell foam that’s lightweight and extremely durable. This patented material is non-marking, non-staining, and completely waterproof. It's easy to clean, salt and chemical resistant, and resists fading from the sun's harmful UV rays.
- We ship parts to you FAST! - Made in the USA - Ships from the USA.
- Reverse Gear, 12:29 ratio, This will match with your OE forward gear and pinion.
- 1989-2005 Johnson and Evinrude 40, 48, and 50 HP Outboard Motors.
- Send your model number to confirm the correct parts, Premium Quality, Affordable Prices.
- OE reverse gear part numbers 332489, 0332489
- [COMPLETE KIT]- You get (1) Universal 33 inch Drift Master drift sock for fishing, (1) 16 foot Floating Anchor Harness Rope, (1) BONUS Collapsing cord and (1) Stoarge Bag! Perfect for a pontoon fishing boat, small fishing boats, even kayak fishing. Fishing for walleye, pike, catfishing, trout, or bass couldn't be easier. - IDEAL FOR TROLLING FOR FISH
- [STAY ON POINT] - Finally we're giving you the answer to nasty/windy conditions, fast currents, or strong tides. When deployed this Drift Master drift sock for fishing boat or kayak opens up like a parachute and slows you down to a crawl, so you can stay over the Strike Zone longer, kind of like a trolling plate! CATCH MORE FISH
- [DESIGNED BY ANGLERS FOR ANGLERS] - We've been in your shoes. We created Drift Master drift sock using ultra-durable proprietary PVC RipStop material. We also use paired it with high-density nylon strapping. Essential part of your kayak fishing accessories, boat fishing accessories, or drift boat accessories - PROFESSIONAL GRADE DURABILITY
- [WE'VE GOT YOUR BACK...LITERALLY] - You'll never throw out your back by pulling in your Drift Master. We included a 16-foot UV-resistant marine grade rope that you attach to the end of the sock tip. Simply pull in the collapsing rope and the water dumps out! This drag bag fits easliy in your fishing storage compartment. - WITH EASE
- [FINALLY] - You will have what it takes to master the windy conditions and conquer Mother Nature, so you can maximize your time on the water. Use wiith your boat anchor or kayak anchor kit to lock in your fishing spot. This fishing drift sock allows your kayak fishing gear, cat fishing, and saltwater fishing gear to perform even better! You've waited long enough and missed too many opportunities to catch your fish of a lifetime! - CLICK ADD TO CART NOW!