When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- A perfect new boat owner's gift or gift for a sailing enthusiast.
- This special edition bundle includes a classic yacht Captain's cap with complimenting Captain and First Mate design printed coolies.
- 80% Cotton/20% Rayon hat with snap on closure. Hand wash only.
- Stylish can coolie holds 12 oz cans or 12-16 oz bottles. Folds flat for easy storage. Machine washable neoprene material allows for beverages to stay cool longer.
- This set makes a great party gift for that special occasion, super party favor or lasting memento.
- ❖ 【A Must Have First Aid Kit For Your Active Life!】 Monoki 241 Pcs Upgraded First Aid Kit with Multi-Purpose Emergency Survival Tools & All-Purpose Hihgest Standards Medical Trauma Supplies. Complete First Aid Kit with Bright Red Bag, You can Quicky Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency. A Must Have for Us! Also Great for A Gift!
- ❖ 【Various Practical Survival Tools】 Powerful Combo Set, Includes 16 Different Amazing Survival Tools — Multi-function Pliers, Tactical Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Emergency Blanket, Army Green Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Tactical Flashlight, Fishing Lines, Fishing Weights, Fishing Hooks, Swivels, Floats, Aluminum Foil, Bait, Fishing Set Can Solve The Problem of Looking For Food Outdoors, Which can Meet Your Different Needs!
- ❖ 【Multi-Purpose Emergency Medical Grade Supplies】 The First Response Medical Supplies Premium Compact First Aid Kit has Everything You Need for a Medical Emergency in a Compact Portable Size. With a Full Range of High Quality Medical Emergency First Aid Choices, You will have Everything You Need for the Most Common Mishaps and First Aid Demand, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections.
- ❖ 【Compact Lightweight & Durable】 Fully Organized with 241 Pieces First Aid Kit, Small and Lightweight, Easy to Carry, Weighs just about 1.54 lb, Portable and Travel-friendly Design. High-quality EVA & Nylon Material with Full Open Zipper, Strong Durable Waterproof and Shock Resistant. There is still Additional Space to Add More Supplies When Necessary. Fits Perfectly in your Car, Boat, Backpack, Pockets or Glove Box. You can Take it Anywhere You Go!
- ❖ 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】 Ideal for Home, Family, Office, School, Kitchen, Workplace; Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle; Travel, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, like Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- REMOVES MARKS & DIRT: Our premium boat eraser sponge quickly and effectively remove dirt, grime, grease, mud, scum, and scuffs from the deck, console and seats of your boat. They are essential to a boat detailing kit and are the perfect tool to keep your boat looking its best by wiping away scuff marks in between deep cleans. They lift away marks from shoes, fishing poles and nets, tackle boxes and coolers. They also can be used to wipe away dirt and marks from in galley, kitchen and lavatory.
- NO HARSH CORROSIVE CHEMICALS: Our boat erasers effortlessly and magically wipe away marks from all over the interior and exterior of your boat. Simply add water and squeeze to activate, then wipe away dirt and stains. These sponges DO NOT contain bleach or other harsh chemicals, making them safe on various surfaces and a perfect addition to more intensive boat maintenance supplies. These cleaner pads are safe for fiberglass, fabric, leather, vinyl, plastic, aluminum, gelcoat and metal surfaces.
- REINFORCED CORE FOR DURABILITY & SCRUBBER SURFACE: Extra thick sponges are made extremely durable with a reinforced core making them one of the best RV and boat accessory essentials or gifts. They are fast, easy and convenient to use and come in a great value bulk pack of 3. Reduce the pain of marks with these professional boat maintenance supplies. Erase with a textured surface lifting and erasing away dirt from sinks, toilets, countertops, shower stalls walls, bath area and more.
- EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY: We proudly stand behind the quality of all our products! We are a family owned American business committed to making premium quality products.
- 【WIDE-ANGLE AND HD VIEW】High quality precision design featuring all glass high end optics, (FMC Superior BAK-4 Green Film Prism), The High Power monocular telescope provides 8X magnification with 42mm objective diameter wide lens, 360ft/1000yards of large field of view, let you have the best view in outdoor adventures
- 【LIFE-WATERPROOF, FOGPROOF, DUST-PROOF, SHOCKPROOF】Nitrogen-filled waterproof, This monocular built in lens dust cover can prevent lens from dust/moisture/debris, make sure you see everything in a clear detail. Its rubber finish has shock resistance, durable external protection makes it usable to withstand the tough weather conditions
- 【High Quality】The 8x42 monocular is made of high quality material. Large BAK-4 Prism and FMC Fully Multi-coated Lens Elements strengthen the key function of a monocular. High light transmittance reaches up to 99.9%. Light reflection and minimal distortion, multi coated optics guarantee superior light transmission and brightness. Low-light-level night vision built-in design help you see things in low light
- 【Comfortable Convenient】This compact monocular (5.7''x1.9''x1.5'') is convenient to use by single hand. Adjustable eye cups can be easily and rapidly twisted up and down for optimal viewing with or without glasses. Rubber armor with stripes increases the friction, keeps it from slipping out from your hand. The monocular scope also comes with hand strap and carry case, There also has a tripod connector at the bottom of monocular offers steady viewing when connect a monocular tripod
- 【Wide Application And Satisfaction Warranty】The Easy focusing HD monocular perfect for Hiking, Hunting, Climbing, Bird watching, Watching Wildlife and Scenery, Golf, Scope, Surveillance, concerts and travelling etc. Come with friendly customer service, 30-days hassle-free money back guarantee and LIFETIME WARRANTY. NO ANY worries about your purchase. Also a great gift for your family or friends
- MAX PROTECTION - An innovative hanging system enables easy positioning on a boat or dock offering protection both above and below the rub rail, unlike traditional fenders. Patents pending
- HUGS CONTOURS - Sentry hangs at an angle that aligns with the contour of your boat's hull. This keeps SENTRY from getting caught on top of the dock and adds to the beautiful aesthetic of your boat
- INNOVATIVE - Molded in a cross-linked closed-cell foam that is extremely durable. This patented material doesn't absorb water and resists fading from the sun's harmful UV rays
- NO KNOTS - No ropes, no hassle. An integrated strap easily attaches to boat cleats and docks for super-fast installation
- TIDY UP - Out of the box Sentry comes with an extra-long strap. If your cleats are in a great spot for hanging Sentry, you can trim the strap to keep things tidy
- Large capacity safety gear bag
- Heavy duty nylon construction
- Non-corrosive zippered top closure
- Size: 26 inch x 12 inch x 17 inch
- Color: White
- ◆ Fishes and bottom contour readout: LUCKY fish finder portable detects and displays water depth, approximate fish location, short & tall weeds, sand & rocks on bottom. Fish finder portable design gives you another option to hang it around neck.
- ◆ The kayak fish finder suits for variety fishes fishing environments: It can be used for off shore fishing, kayak fishing, ice fishing, lake fishing, sea fishing and so on. You can also use handheld fish finder on the moving kayak with speed below 5mph.
- ◆Depth readout: The fish finder portable detector range is in a 45°cone underwater. The detection of depth range is from 3ft(1m) to 328ft (100m) below fishing sonar transducer. The water depth can be shown either in feet or meter. The fishing sonar sensor is with 25 ft cable and removable transducer float.
- ◆ Small portable fish finder with powerful functions: 5 modes sensitivity options; battery save mode; backlight mode; fish and fish school alarm. Normally fishing depth finder supports 4-5 hours continuous working with brand new batteries. Open battery save mode can be working even longer.
- ◆ Warranty Policy: We offer 12 months warranty for LUCKY fish finder portable. It will be one of your best fishing kayak accessories. Any questions before or after purchase, please feel free to contact us via Amazon message (response within 24 hours every day online).
- ✔ INCOPARABLY HIGH QUALITY AT AN AMAZINGLY LOW PRICE: Stop wasting your money on cheaply made roll top bags that fail to protect your stuff. This top notch waterproof bags set is the perfect combination of premium quality, extreme durability, maximum protection and low cost! Make it yours, save money and enjoy boating, rafting and kayaking without worrying about your belongings ever again!
- ✔ KEEP YOUR THINGS DRY UNDER ANY CONDITION: Say goodbye to traditional roll-top dry bag which doesn't have any seal to protect your valuable items dry when it is submerged underwater or continuously splashed!The Freegrace waterproof dry bag features double zip lock seals that make it twice as safe as any dry bag you have ever tried! In fact, it promises to keep your things perfectly dry even if you submerge it into water.
- ✔ ERGONOMIC FEATURES FOR EASY TRANSPORT: 5L, 10L, and 20L Comes with a 27.6"-49.6" adjustable and removable shoulder strap. You can sling the strap over your shoulder to easily tote your bag anywhere. Or attach the strap to your boat or kayak to keep your bag conveniently at hand. Also 20L comes with build-in a grab handle and 35L are equipped with backpack style shoulder straps that also come with a sternum strap for added stability.
- ✔ GET A PRACTICAL WATERPROOF POUCH FOR YOUR SMALL ITEMS: Along with the kayaking and boating dry bag, you will receive an amazing waterproof opaque black pouch (9.0" X 6.7") which is ideal for storing your wallet, cash, keys, credit cards and more in order to keep them 100% Safe and Float! The adjustable waistline (fits sizes: 33.5" - 47.5") makes it incomparably versatile, allowing you to wear it as a waist pack, cross-body bag, or shoulder bag.
- ✔ PROTECT YOUR CELL PHONE AND MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR WATER SPORT ACTIVITIES: This set also includes a must have IPX8 Certified Waterproof Phone Case (3.9" x 6.7"). This amazing dry cell phone case features a very simple snap and lock access that has dual-sided clear windows that allow you to text, talk on the phone, take pictures and video while still inside the case. Suitable for phones up to 6.5 Inches of diagonal screen size.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Men's Bahama Vent PFG Boat Shoe Wide features our waterproof and breathable construction, lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort and high energy return, and our advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Days out on the water are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof, breathable full-grain leather and canvas construction.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This boat shoe features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- VERSATILE STYLE: This men's waterproof boat shoe delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments.
- Absorbs shock to boats, cleats, docks, pylons and other hardware
- Bungee cord is hidden inside the rope and acts as a built-in snubber
- Two foam floats protect the boat from chafing and sliding adjustment at both ends for quick docking
- Recommended for docking boats and PWC's up to 4,000 pounds. Tensile strength is 2,150 pounds
- 4 feet in length, stretches to 5 1/2 feet