When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Men's Bahama Vent PFG Boat Shoe Wide features our waterproof and breathable construction, lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort and high energy return, and our advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Days out on the water are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof, breathable full-grain leather and canvas construction.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This boat shoe features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- VERSATILE STYLE: This men's waterproof boat shoe delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments.
- [Military Approved Emergency Survival Gear Kit ]:Military approved survival kit,complete set for people who like to go hiking,camping,fishing,outdoor sport and adventure,providing the most safest and comprehensive outdoor survival kit. Perfect for military tactical uses or any outdoor activities like camping,hiking,car travel,climbing,boating,etc.
- [Various Tactical Tools&Molle System Compatible]:MOLLE system attachment straps on the back + adjustable quick-release buckle + 2 x D-rings . You can hang Molle compatible straps on your combat vests, backpacks, belts, and adjust the buckle straps to tighten the pouch, Which make it an perfect companion for military tactical uses or any outdoor activities.
- [High Quality&Practical Survival Gears & First Aid Kit]:Including the most popular survival necessities: 3-mode tactical flashlight, tactical pen, multi-functional bracelet,tactical knife, multifunctional cards,spoon etc.,Besides,it also comes with the fire starting tools, lighting equipment,fishing tools,comprehensive first aid kit for emergency situation,which can treat wounds in time to prevent infections. It is ideal for taking care of any medical emergency needs in wilderness adventures!
- [Lightweight & Compact Design]:All in one, compact size, only 2.86 pounds. Easy to carry, small and lightweight, can hold all the essential emergency supplies and survival tools (210 pcs, can be refilled when needed). The survival kit has just the right size so it fits anywhere in your car, bike, ,boat, jeep.
- [ Ideal Gift for Man]:Are you looking for an unique and cool gifts for your men ?Then must try our emergency survival kit,it has equipped with all set including all kinds of the first aid kit and tactical tools.easy to use and carry.
- 4 odor-free dishcloths.
- Stays odor-free without washing or microwaving.
- Healthier than sponges or cotton dishcloths because they have less bacteria.
- More economical because they last 3 times longer than sponges.
- Safe for non-stick | 8 x 8 inches | elastic loop
- Huk: Uniting anglers through performance-engineered, technical gear designed to fuel your passion and pursuit no matter when, where or how you fish
- HUK ICON X Superior Hybrid Jacket: Built with Primaloft Insulation, articulated hood, fog free breathable perforation, two chest pockets, pit zips, two hand warmer pockets, adjustable cuff and ICON X reflective tape
- WATER REPELLENT: Durable Water Repellent coating on this fishing jacket repels water, keeping you dry and agile while on the water
- WIND PROOF: HUK's wind resistant fabrics and innovative construction limit the amount of wind that reaches your body, keeping you warmer and allowing you to stay out longer
- MOISTURE TRANSPORT: Keeping dry is critical to keeping warm on the cold water - this jacket's material has hydrophobic qualities to transports water & sweat away from the skin
- TELESCOPING POLE EXTENDS FROM 5’ TO 8.5’ – Fully extends up to 8.5’ to allow for effortless docking and easy reach of any lines and buoys.
- FOR BOATS UP TO 40’ – The BTG Gear Cap’n Hook Boat Hook is perfect for powerboats, sailboats, and nearly any other boat up to 40’ in length.
- NON-SLIP DUAL SOFT FOAM HANDLES TO REDUCE STRAIN – The dual soft foam handles on the BTG Gear Boat Hook reduce strain on your hands when docking your boat and prevent slippery hand accidents when retrieving lines.
- NNOVATIVE TAB LOCKS ARE SUPERIOR TO TWISTING POLES – The innovative locking tabs are more reliable and secure than traditional twist handle poles. The rugged aluminum construction pulls up to 110 lbs of weight (110 lbs retracted & 40 lbs extended).
- FLOATING BOAT HOOK – The BTG Gear Boat Hook floats and is easily retrievable to avoid those ‘slippery hands’ incidents at the dock.
- MAX PROTECTION - An innovative hanging system enables easy positioning on a boat or dock offering protection both above and below the rub rail, unlike traditional fenders. *Patents pending
- HUGS CONTOURS - With a hanging point that's lower than traditional fenders, SENTRY hangs at an angle that aligns with the contour of your boat's hull. This keeps SENTRY from getting caught on top of the dock and adds to the beautiful aesthetic of your boat.
- INNOVATIVE MATERIAL - Molded in a cross-linked closed-cell foam that is extremely durable. This patented material doesn't absorb water and resists fading from the sun's harmful UV rays. It also doesn't contain nasty chemicals, like vinyl chloride, so it's more environmentally friendly than traditional fenders.
- NO KNOTS - No ropes, no hassle. An integrated strap easily attaches to boat cleats and docks for super-fast installation.
- TIDY UP - Out of the box SENTRY comes with an extra-long strap. This makes it easy to loop over higher attachment locations like towers and grab rails. If your cleats are in a great spot for hanging SENTRY, you can trim the strap to keep things tidy.
- Durable and Compact: Made from ripstop tarpaulin with sturdy welded seam which is designed for years usage, tear, rip and puncture proof. Perfect for almost any extreme adventure you can imagine.
- Waterproof Guarantee: Solid roll-top closure system provides secure watertight seal. Keeps your gear dry in any wet situation where the bag is not fully submerged. Protects your valuables from water, snow, mud and sand.
- Easy Operation and Cleaning: Just put your gear in bag, grab top woven tape and roll down tightly 3 to 5 times and then plug buckle to complete seal, whole process is very quick. Dry sack is easy to wipe clean due to its smooth surface.
- Multiple Sizes: 5 Liter to 40 Liter to meet your demands on different occasions. 5L, 10L include one adjustable and removable shoulder strap for cross-body, 20L, 30L, 40L include two straps for backpack style carrying.
- Versatility: The dry sack can float on water after being rolled and buckled, so you can track your gears easily. Perfect for boating, kayaking, paddling, sailing, canoeing, surfing or having fun on the beach. A nice Holiday Gift for families and friends.