When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- 【A Must Have First Aid Kit For Your Active Life!】 Monoki 241 Pcs Upgraded First Aid Kit with Multi-Purpose Emergency Survival Tools & All-Purpose Hihgest Standards FDA Medical Trauma Supplies. Complete First Aid Kit with Bright Red Bag and Striking Red Cross Symbol, You can Quicky Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency. A Must Have for Us! Also Great for A Gift!
- 【Various Practical Survival Tools】 Powerful Combo Set, Includes 16 Different Amazing Survival Tools — Multi-function Pliers, Tactical Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Emergency Blanket, Army Green Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Tactical Flashlight, Fishing Lines, Fishing Weights, Fishing Hooks, Swivels, Floats, Aluminum Foil, Bait, Fishing Set Can Solve The Problem of Looking For Food Outdoors, Which can Meet Your Different Needs!
- 【Multi-Purpose Emergency Medical Grade Supplies】 The First Response Medical Supplies Premium Compact First Aid Kit has Everything You Need for a Medical Emergency in a Compact Portable Size. With a Full Range of High Quality Medical Emergency First Aid Choices, You will have Everything You Need for the Most Common Mishaps and First Aid Demand, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections.
- 【Compact Lightweight & Durable】 Fully Organized with 241 Pieces First Aid Kit, Small and Lightweight, Easy to Carry, Weighs just about 1.54 lb, Portable and Travel-friendly Design. High-quality EVA & Nylon Material with Full Open Zipper, Strong Durable Waterproof and Shock Resistant. There is still Additional Space to Add More Supplies When Necessary. Fits Perfectly in your Car, Boat, Backpack, Pockets or Glove Box. You can Take it Anywhere You Go!
- 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】 Ideal for Home, Family, Office, School, Kitchen, Workplace; Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle; Travel, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, like Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- 【A Must-Have 302Pcs First Aid Survival Kit For Your Active Life!】Monoki First Aid Survival Kit with Multi-Purpose Survival Tools & Comprehensive FDA Medical Supplies & A Military Tactical Molle EMT IFAK Pouch. Made of 600D Nylon, Durable Water Resistant, Wide Handle Loop, Easy to Carry.Dual Zippers & Interior Organization With Tri-fold Designed Provide Large Capacity To Add Your Own Gear.1 US Flag Patch+1 First Aid Patch,Let You Easy To Quickly Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency
- 【Molle System Compatible】With MOLLE System Attachment Straps On Back + Quick Removal Velcro Panel + Adjustable Quick Release Buckle + 2 x D-Rings + Strong Metal Snaps Design. Rip-away Velcro Panel,Allow You to Attach Our IFAK Pouch To Other Tactical MOLLE Backpack Gear. Use Tthe Molle Compatible Straps On Back To Hang It Onto The Combat Vest, Backpack, Belt. Adjust Buckle Straps To Tighten The Tactical Pouch, Which Made It A Perfect Companion For Military Tactical Use Or Any Outdoor Activities.
- 【Various Top Quality Practical Survival Gears】Powerful Combo Set, Includes 23Pcs Different Amazing Survival Tools — 6-In-1 Army Green Paracord Bracelet, 3-Mode Tactical LED Flashlight, Multitool Plier, Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Disposable Poncho, Emergency Blanket, Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Aluminum D-Ring Buckle Keychain, Fishing Equipment Set(11Pcs), Which Can Meet Your Any Different Needs! A Must-Have EDC Emergency Survival Kit for Men Boys!
- 【275Pcs Comprehensive FDA Approved First Aid Supplies For Emergency Treatment】Prodiving Full Range of High Quality Medical First Aid Supplies, Allowing to Treat A Single Family or A Group of Friends Under Emergency Case, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections. It Has Everything You Need for The Most Common Mishaps And Dirst Aid Demand with A Compact Portable Size. Perfect for Taking Care of Any Medical Emergency Nneeds During Outdoor Sports & Wilderness Adventures!
- 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】Ideal for Tactical Medics, Military, Police, Firefighter, EMT, Hunter, First Responders, Hikers, Campers, Outdoor Enthusiasts and More! Perfect for Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle, Home, Workplace; Travel, Shooting, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, etc. Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, Such As Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- Lightweight Compact and Durable: Made from ripstop tarpaulin with sturdy welded seam which is designed for years usage, tear, rip and puncture proof. Perfect for almost any extreme adventure you imagine.
- Waterproof Guarantee: Solid roll-top closure system provides secure watertight seal. Keep your gear dry in any wet situation where the bag is not fully submerged. Protect your valuables from water, snow, mud and sand.
- Easy Operation and Cleaning: Just put your gear in bag, grab top woven tape and roll down tightly 3 to 5 times and then plug buckle to complete seal, whole process is very quick. Dry sack is easy to wipe clean due to its smooth surface.
- Perfect Midsize: 10Liter and 20Liter to meet your demands on different occasions. Each bag includes an adjustable and removable shoulder strap for cross-body or shoulder carrying.
- Versatility: The dry sack can float on water after rolled and buckled, so you can track your gear easily. Perfect for boating, kayaking, paddling, sailing, canoeing, surfing or having fun on the beach. A nice Holiday Gift for families and friends.
- COMFORTABLE FOR ANYONE: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- DIMENSIONS: Inflated size 10 feet 3 X 3 feet X 1 feet 8 Inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- DIRECTIONAL STABILITY: Removable skeg for directional stability
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- MADE FOR SMALLER BODIES OF WATER: Explorer K2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
- Piscifun is the EXCLUSIVE AUTHORIZEE to sell this patent line spooler in the U.S. market. Any spoolers without Piscifun logo on it will be illegally reproduction!
- A most have for fisherman. Clever tool for loading your reel with braid or mono, or doing simple things like tying a #6 fish hook which from experience it tangles, line slips loose, etc. No more using a pencil or the wife to help you hold the reel.
- A truly well engineered quality built product. The Line Winder works great with both wide and narrow spools. Comes with a 3/8 in. bushing, can perfectly work with string spools ( Mono / Braid Line ) that have the smaller diameter center holes.
- Spinning Reels / Baitcaster Reels Interchange Directions: Tighten the wheel fastener on the tip when winding a baitcater reel, loose it while winding a spinning reel and let the spool spin with the rotor.
- Compact and lightweight make Piscifun Line Winder portable. You may carry it no matter where you go and get it in hand at any time as long as it is in your car. Please note that the Piscifun Reels and Line are only for spooling reference, they are not included in the package!
- Fishes and bottom contour readout: LUCKY fish finder portable detects and displays water depth, approximate fish location, short & tall weeds, sand & rocks on bottom. Fish finder portable design gives you another option to hang it around neck.
- The kayak fish finder suits for variety fishes fishing environments: It can be used for off shore fishing, kayak fishing, ice fishing, lake fishing, sea fishing and so on. You can also use handheld fish finder on the moving kayak with speed below 5mph.
- Depth readout: The fish finder portable detector range is in a 45°cone underwater. The detection of depth range is from 3ft(1m) to 328ft (100m) below fishing sonar transducer. The water depth can be shown either in feet or meter. The fishing sonar sensor is with 25 ft cable and removable transducer float.
- Small portable fish finder with powerful functions: 5 modes sensitivity options; battery save mode; backlight mode; fish and fish school alarm. Normally fishing depth finder supports 4-5 hours continuous working with brand new batteries. Open battery save mode can be working even longer.
- Warranty Policy: We offer 12 months warranty for LUCKY fish finder portable. It will be one of your best fishing kayak accessories. Any questions before or after purchase, please feel free to contact us via Amazon message (response within 24 hours every day online).
- Regular fit
- Lace closure
- Open mesh upper; ventilated Climacool
- Traxion outsole for optimal grip
- Perforated adidas drainage system in midsole and outsole
- A POWERFUL LIGHT WHEN YOU NEED IT THE MOST. Super-bright 18 Watt LED light with three brightness settings: High (1,000 lumens), Medium (500 lumens) and Low (100 lumens). At 1,000 lumens, it’s significantly brighter than many higher-priced spotlights and flashlights. Removable filter enables both white and red light settings.
- FINALLY A RECHARGEABLE SPOTLIGHT WITH SERIOUS LASTING POWER - UP TO 20 HOURS. Stop searching for batteries that are never there when you need them. This spotlight is made with a long-lasting, rechargeable 7.4 volt 18,500 Lithium-Ion battery with serious storage power (3000 mAh). A full charge is made to last longer than virtually any other flashlight - from 6 hours at 1,000 lumens to a whopping 20 hours at 100 lumens.
- SO LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT YOU CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE. This handheld flashlight weighs less than a pound (15.1 oz) and measures just 6in long and 3in wide, so it’s easy to carry and hold while walking or hiking outdoors. It might be a powerhouse in your hand, but you won’t get tired of holding it. Includes an adjustable stand for hands-free use.
- IMPACT RESISTANT, WATERPROOF, AND DOESN'T SINK. Made from tough, impact resistant ABS and polystyrene to protect the system from drops and bumps while in use. Should you accidentally drop it in water while hiking, camping, sailing or hunting, no worries - it's waterproof up to 3ft deep, and floats to the surface of the water so it's easy to retrieve.
- IMPORTANT: There is an ongoing soldering issue that prevents a small percentage of spotlights from working properly. We have managed to reduce the rate of these faulty units considerably, but not yet completely. We feel very bad about it and are actively working on solutions. If you receive a defective product, contact us and we will immediately send you a replacement unit for free. No return required.
- A perfect new boat owner's gift or gift for a sailing enthusiast.
- This special edition bundle includes a classic yacht Captain's cap with complimenting Captain and First Mate design printed coolies.
- 80% Cotton/20% Rayon hat with snap on closure. Hand wash only.
- Stylish can coolie holds 12 oz cans or 12-16 oz bottles. Folds flat for easy storage. Machine washable neoprene material allows for beverages to stay cool longer.
- This set makes a great party gift for that special occasion, super party favor or lasting memento.
- CLEAR VÜ SCANNING SONAR Shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects, structure and fish
- THE POWER OF SIMPLE Offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5 , 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
- WAYPOINT MAP Use the way point map to easily view, mark and navigate to locations such as brush piles, stumps and docks; Maximum depth 1,600 feet freshwater, 750 feet saltwater; Current draw at 12Volt : 0.23 Ampere
- CHIRP SONAR CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies which provides a wider range of information; CHIRP sonar is able to create crisper fish arches with better target separation
- BUILT IN FLASHER View your sonar data in the classic flasher format; ideal for ice fishing or vertical jigging.Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches (4.9 x 7.3 centimeter); 3.5 inches diagonal (8.7 centimeter)