When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- A perfect new boat owner's gift or gift for a sailing enthusiast.
- This special edition bundle includes a classic yacht Captain's cap with complimenting Captain and First Mate design printed coolies.
- 80% Cotton/20% Rayon hat with snap on closure. Hand wash only.
- Stylish can coolie holds 12 oz cans or 12-16 oz bottles. Folds flat for easy storage. Machine washable neoprene material allows for beverages to stay cool longer.
- This set makes a great party gift for that special occasion, super party favor or lasting memento.
- Lightweight Compact and Durable: Made from ripstop tarpaulin with sturdy welded seam which is designed for years usage, tear, rip and puncture proof. Perfect for almost any extreme adventure you imagine.
- Waterproof Guarantee: Solid roll-top closure system provides secure watertight seal. Keep your gear dry in any wet situation where the bag is not fully submerged. Protect your valuables from water, snow, mud and sand.
- Easy Operation and Cleaning: Just put your gear in bag, grab top woven tape and roll down tightly 3 to 5 times and then plug buckle to complete seal, whole process is very quick. Dry sack is easy to wipe clean due to its smooth surface.
- Perfect Midsize: 10Liter and 20Liter to meet your demands on different occasions. Each bag includes an adjustable and removable shoulder strap for cross-body or shoulder carrying.
- Versatility: The dry sack can float on water after rolled and buckled, so you can track your gear easily. Perfect for boating, kayaking, paddling, sailing, canoeing, surfing or having fun on the beach. A nice Holiday Gift for families and friends.
- CLEAR VÜ SCANNING SONAR Shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects, structure and fish
- THE POWER OF SIMPLE Offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5 , 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
- WAYPOINT MAP Use the way point map to easily view, mark and navigate to locations such as brush piles, stumps and docks; Maximum depth 1,600 feet freshwater, 750 feet saltwater; Current draw at 12Volt : 0.23 Ampere
- CHIRP SONAR CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies which provides a wider range of information; CHIRP sonar is able to create crisper fish arches with better target separation
- BUILT IN FLASHER View your sonar data in the classic flasher format; ideal for ice fishing or vertical jigging.Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches (4.9 x 7.3 centimeter); 3.5 inches diagonal (8.7 centimeter)
- 【A Must-Have 302Pcs First Aid Survival Kit For Your Active Life!】Monoki First Aid Survival Kit with Multi-Purpose Survival Tools & Comprehensive FDA Medical Supplies & A Military Tactical Molle EMT IFAK Pouch. Made of 600D Nylon, Durable Water Resistant, Wide Handle Loop, Easy to Carry.Dual Zippers & Interior Organization With Tri-fold Designed Provide Large Capacity To Add Your Own Gear.1 US Flag Patch+1 First Aid Patch,Let You Easy To Quickly Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency
- 【Molle System Compatible】With MOLLE System Attachment Straps On Back + Quick Removal Velcro Panel + Adjustable Quick Release Buckle + 2 x D-Rings + Strong Metal Snaps Design. Rip-away Velcro Panel,Allow You to Attach Our IFAK Pouch To Other Tactical MOLLE Backpack Gear. Use Tthe Molle Compatible Straps On Back To Hang It Onto The Combat Vest, Backpack, Belt. Adjust Buckle Straps To Tighten The Tactical Pouch, Which Made It A Perfect Companion For Military Tactical Use Or Any Outdoor Activities.
- 【Various Top Quality Practical Survival Gears】Powerful Combo Set, Includes 23Pcs Different Amazing Survival Tools — 6-In-1 Army Green Paracord Bracelet, 3-Mode Tactical LED Flashlight, Multitool Plier, Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Disposable Poncho, Emergency Blanket, Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Aluminum D-Ring Buckle Keychain, Fishing Equipment Set(11Pcs), Which Can Meet Your Any Different Needs! A Must-Have EDC Emergency Survival Kit for Men Boys!
- 【275Pcs Comprehensive FDA Approved First Aid Supplies For Emergency Treatment】Prodiving Full Range of High Quality Medical First Aid Supplies, Allowing to Treat A Single Family or A Group of Friends Under Emergency Case, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections. It Has Everything You Need for The Most Common Mishaps And Dirst Aid Demand with A Compact Portable Size. Perfect for Taking Care of Any Medical Emergency Nneeds During Outdoor Sports & Wilderness Adventures!
- 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】Ideal for Tactical Medics, Military, Police, Firefighter, EMT, Hunter, First Responders, Hikers, Campers, Outdoor Enthusiasts and More! Perfect for Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle, Home, Workplace; Travel, Shooting, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Climbing, Mountain Biking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, etc. Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, Such As Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- 【A Must Have First Aid Kit For Your Active Life!】 Monoki 241 Pcs Upgraded First Aid Kit with Multi-Purpose Emergency Survival Tools & All-Purpose Hihgest Standards FDA Medical Trauma Supplies. Complete First Aid Kit with Bright Red Bag and Striking Red Cross Symbol, You can Quicky Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency. A Must Have for Us! Also Great for A Gift!
- 【Various Practical Survival Tools】 Powerful Combo Set, Includes 16 Different Amazing Survival Tools — Multi-function Pliers, Tactical Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Emergency Blanket, Army Green Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Tactical Flashlight, Fishing Lines, Fishing Weights, Fishing Hooks, Swivels, Floats, Aluminum Foil, Bait, Fishing Set Can Solve The Problem of Looking For Food Outdoors, Which can Meet Your Different Needs!
- 【Multi-Purpose Emergency Medical Grade Supplies】 The First Response Medical Supplies Premium Compact First Aid Kit has Everything You Need for a Medical Emergency in a Compact Portable Size. With a Full Range of High Quality Medical Emergency First Aid Choices, You will have Everything You Need for the Most Common Mishaps and First Aid Demand, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections.
- 【Compact Lightweight & Durable】 Fully Organized with 241 Pieces First Aid Kit, Small and Lightweight, Easy to Carry, Weighs just about 1.54 lb, Portable and Travel-friendly Design. High-quality EVA & Nylon Material with Full Open Zipper, Strong Durable Waterproof and Shock Resistant. There is still Additional Space to Add More Supplies When Necessary. Fits Perfectly in your Car, Boat, Backpack, Pockets or Glove Box. You can Take it Anywhere You Go!
- 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】 Ideal for Home, Family, Office, School, Kitchen, Workplace; Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle; Travel, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, like Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- COMFORTABLE FOR ANYONE: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- DIMENSIONS: Inflated size 10 feet 3 X 3 feet X 1 feet 8 Inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- DIRECTIONAL STABILITY: Removable skeg for directional stability
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- MADE FOR SMALLER BODIES OF WATER: Explorer K2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Men's Bahama Vent PFG Boat Shoe Wide features our waterproof and breathable construction, lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort and high energy return, and our advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Days out on the water are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof, breathable full-grain leather and canvas construction.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This boat shoe features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- VERSATILE STYLE: This men's waterproof boat shoe delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments.
- MAX PROTECTION - An innovative hanging system enables easy positioning on a boat or dock offering protection both above and below the rub rail, unlike traditional fenders. Patents pending
- HUGS CONTOURS - Sentry hangs at an angle that aligns with the contour of your boat's hull. This keeps SENTRY from getting caught on top of the dock and adds to the beautiful aesthetic of your boat
- INNOVATIVE - Molded in a cross-linked closed-cell foam that is extremely durable. This patented material doesn't absorb water and resists fading from the sun's harmful UV rays
- NO KNOTS - No ropes, no hassle. An integrated strap easily attaches to boat cleats and docks for super-fast installation
- TIDY UP - Out of the box Sentry comes with an extra-long strap. If your cleats are in a great spot for hanging Sentry, you can trim the strap to keep things tidy
- EXTRA DURABLE: Made with 1000D nylon – the same material used in highly demanding naval applications – and utilizes drop-stitch construction with double-reinforced seams for added durability.
- SUPER RIGID: At four inches thick, you can stand, jump, climb, and play around on it all day long without worrying that it’s going to sink or deflate.
- NO MORE FOAM BURRITOS: Packs down to fit in most boat lockers and the included storage bag helps protect and transport the mat when it’s not in use.
- FIVE SIZES: Multiple sizes to fit any lake, river, or imagination. Whatever you’ve got in mind, we’ve got a mat for that.
- BUILT-IN TIE OFF: Comes equipped with a stainless steel D-ring for quick and easy tethering to any dock, boat, or anchor. *REEF is NOT designed for towing*
- Made of nylon
- Sold per each
- Display packaged
- Item size: 60 inches