When you think of yachting, you probably think of boats the length of a football field, owned by wealthy people who live in multiple places and are crewed by a full complement of sailors and servants. Perhaps you even imagine beautiful girls in Bikinis lounging on the bow, while a man wearing a captain’s cap — who wouldn’t be able to read a nautical chart if his life depended on it — sits on the deck, sipping Martinis and reading the financial news.
Well, yes. That is one kind of yachting.
Actually, yachting simply means a boat used for leisure activities, as opposed to working boats, such as fishing boats and crabbers. There are two major types of yachts: sailboats and motorized craft.
Men and women have been sailing for millennia on waterborne crafts used for transportation, food gathering, and war. No one ever thought of a leisurely sail down the Nile for fun. Except maybe Cleopatra. The very idea of an afternoon’s fishing or a romantic rendezvous in a dinghy didn’t occur until the Renaissance or later. People were too busy, just trying to survive.
But once the concept arose, it went viral. The Dutch started using small yachts for picnics and pleasure jaunts in the 1300s. In the mid-1600s, Charles II of England spent his exile in Holland and became enamored of yachting. When he returned to England, he sailed his 60-foot yacht up and down the Thames for fun.
The practice caught on, and pretty soon, the Thames was full of racing yachts. By the 1800s, yacht clubs were forming in England, on the continent, and in America. International racing started up and continues today.
But while yacht racing is another form of yachting, it tends to be a pricey sport, and one that is taken very seriously.
True yachting is just a man or a woman and the boat. It doesn’t matter whether the boat is a dinghy with nothing but a mainsail or a 40-foot sloop with a crew of five. A sailboat is not just a creation of wood and fiberglass and steel. When you hoist the mainsail, and the boat jumps to catch the wind, when it heels over, and you’re practically riding on the hull, when the wind and the spray are flung back in your face, and you feel so very alive, you know then that the boat, too, is alive. And the two of you are partners for a time, joyfully riding the wind.
Small boats, powered by internal combustion engines, came into existence in the late 1800s, and people have had a love affair with them ever since. From little, open boats with outboard motors to cabin cruisers with the engines inboard, these vessels are usually used for pleasure. They are enjoyed by fishermen, hunters, swimmers, SCUBA divers, and water skiers. And, of course, they are pitted against each other in races.
Real relaxation is sitting in a runabout with a small outboard engine, leaning over the side to watch the fish, or staring at a red and white bobber with a line down to a hook and a worm, or just exploring the inlets of a lake. The gentle movement of the boat, the slightly fishy smell of the lake or river, the sparkle of the sun on the water are the best stress reducers you’ll ever find.
Size and price
Boats come in all sizes, from one-person runabouts to palatial cabin cruisers. The smallest boats will usually accommodate about three people. If you have a large family, you will have to invest in a larger craft.
They don’t have to cost much. There are many used craft on the market. If all that you want is a small, open boat for fishing, you will probably spend a few thousand dollars for the boat, the motor and the trailer. The price goes up from there.
Before you buy a boat, you should rent several different types and become familiar with them. This type of research, as opposed to computer searches, gives you hands-on experience and a lot of pleasure.
Piloting a motorboat isn’t as easy as it seems. If you’re a novice, take along a knowledgeable friend. Boating is a lot of fun, but it can be dangerous. You need to learn about the rules and regulations governing the use of watercraft, and you need to be able to read charts. Handling the craft is a skill taught by experience and a good sailor. You have to pay attention to currents and weather. Try to avoid getting caught out in open water by a squall. Don’t go out on the water by yourself until you can handle the boat safely.
Sailing is a skill that requires even more experience. Getting a sailboat to go where you want it to go, calls for at least a minimum level of training and knowledge. You have to learn how to use the wind to power your vessel. But as in all cases with boats, learning is fun.
So what is it like to go yachting? The experience will vary, from peaceful and relaxing to wild, windy and wet. Every time will be different. Yet every time will be remembered as one of the best days of your life.
Going Yachting Soon? Check Out These Items!
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Men's Bahama Vent PFG Boat Shoe Wide features our waterproof and breathable construction, lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort and high energy return, and our advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Days out on the water are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof, breathable full-grain leather and canvas construction.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: This boat shoe features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- VERSATILE STYLE: This men's waterproof boat shoe delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments.
- RUGGED ALL-WEATHER PROTECTION: DrySak is made from heavy duty 500-D PVC to seal out the elements. The watertight, welded seams and roll-down top provide IPX-6 protection for your gear in a variety of outdoor sports and activities.
- QUICK ACCESS TO KEYS & ID: Splash-proof outer zip pocket safely stores small essentials. You'll easily reach your must-haves without having to rummage through your bag whether you are kayaking, hiking or relaxing on the beach.
- KEEPS YOU SAFELY VISIBLE AT NIGHT: Reflective trim around pocket zipper helps ensure you'll be seen. Plus, it helps you spot & retrieve your bag if it ever falls overboard.
- REMOVABLE ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP: Sling the strap over your shoulder to easily tote your gear anywhere. Or attach the strap to your boat or kayak to keep your bag conveniently at hand.
- 10 LITERS & 20 LITERS, YOUR CHOICE: Both our 10L and 20L sizes feature our sleek, simple design - no tacky slogans or garish logos. Plus, both are fully guaranteed.
- ❖ 【A Must Have First Aid Kit For Your Active Life!】 Monoki 241 Pcs Upgraded First Aid Kit with Multi-Purpose Emergency Survival Tools & All-Purpose Hihgest Standards Medical Trauma Supplies. Complete First Aid Kit with Bright Red Bag, You can Quicky Find Everything You Need in Case of Any Emergency. A Must Have for Us! Also Great for A Gift!
- ❖ 【Various Practical Survival Tools】 Powerful Combo Set, Includes 16 Different Amazing Survival Tools — Multi-function Pliers, Tactical Folding Knife, Stainless Steel Saber Card, Emergency Blanket, Army Green Whistle, Compass Keychain, Fire Starter, Wire Saw, Tactical Flashlight, Fishing Lines, Fishing Weights, Fishing Hooks, Swivels, Floats, Aluminum Foil, Bait, Fishing Set Can Solve The Problem of Looking For Food Outdoors, Which can Meet Your Different Needs!
- ❖ 【Multi-Purpose Emergency Medical Grade Supplies】 The First Response Medical Supplies Premium Compact First Aid Kit has Everything You Need for a Medical Emergency in a Compact Portable Size. With a Full Range of High Quality Medical Emergency First Aid Choices, You will have Everything You Need for the Most Common Mishaps and First Aid Demand, You Can Deal With Wounds Soon to Reduce and Prevent Wound Infections.
- ❖ 【Compact Lightweight & Durable】 Fully Organized with 241 Pieces First Aid Kit, Small and Lightweight, Easy to Carry, Weighs just about 1.54 lb, Portable and Travel-friendly Design. High-quality EVA & Nylon Material with Full Open Zipper, Strong Durable Waterproof and Shock Resistant. There is still Additional Space to Add More Supplies When Necessary. Fits Perfectly in your Car, Boat, Backpack, Pockets or Glove Box. You can Take it Anywhere You Go!
- ❖ 【Perfect for Any Emergency Situation】 Ideal for Home, Family, Office, School, Kitchen, Workplace; Car, Boat, Bike, Motorcycle; Travel, Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Cycling, Backpacking, Outdoor Sports, Wilderness Adventures, Also Suit for Natural Disasters Survival Emergency, like Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Floods and Fires.
- Custom made just for you; printed on demand by very nice people in Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Snap up in this ultra trendy, breathable trucker hat; 100% polyester front with 100% nylon mesh back and sides; 4 inch high-profile crown
- Keep up with the vintage style we all know and love, while adding a pop of modern color in to the mix with an OTTO trucker hat
- Designed with a double plastic tab snapback for ultimate comfort and adjustability
- To the king of the castle, man of the house, and captain of the ship...this one's for you DAD! Customize a fun, nautical themed hat for your adventure-lovin' dad. Add his name, and make sure the world knows he rules the sea!
- Semi-universal outboard and stern drive flushing kit makes quick work of protecting your engine and drive from the harmful effects of galvanic corrosion
- Essential and easy to use tool for flushing internal parts of engines and drives used in salt or brackish water or where invasive plant species must be flushed before departing a launch ramp area
- Easily connects to a fresh water source with a standard garden hose connection
- Produced to meet Mercury Marine original equipment manufacturer specifications to best protect your Mercury, Mariner or Force outboard and MerCruiser stern drive and engine
- Attach and remove only when engine or drive is turned off and engine cannot be started
- Goodlander, Cap'n Fatty (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 338 Pages - 05/29/2016 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
- high quality physical environment
- physically calculated and detailed cars
- lots of varied missions
- customizable quality
- detailed sound environment
- The Boat That Rocked ( 2009 ) ( Pirate Radio ) ( Good Morning England )
- The Boat That Rocked ( 2009 )
- Pirate Radio
- Good Morning England
- Tim Bevan (Producer)
- Specifications: 1. Material: PU & Aluminum Alloy 2. Color: Silver 3. Dimensions: (27.95 x 16.54 x 4.72)"(L x W x H) 4. Weight: 6.61 lbs 5. Tube Thickness: 1.5mm Package Includes: 1 x Canoeing Trailer
- 3. Easy to use 4. Widely used for kayaks and canoes 5. Tough alloy tubing resists corrosion, and welded construction ensures durability
- Well, don't hesitate if you like this offer! 1. New and high quality 2. Crafted from superior aluminum alloy for good quality
- Adopting premium PU and aluminum alloy, it is ultra solid and durable to use. All kayak carts can be stowed flat by folding the cart frame and removing the wheels.
- 1.5MM Bend Aluminum Alloy Canoeing Trailer Cart is a great way to get your boat and gear to and from the water. Easy rolling tube tires and a light aluminum frame can handle certain loads.