When hunting big game, there are a lot of variables that can go wrong. You don’t want your backpack to be one of them. When selecting a favorite backpack for hunting elk, make sure you consider the following essential features.
The last thing you want when hunting elk is for your backpack to be the thing that startles the elk. That’s why you should leave your bright neon backpack or neutral-colored backpack at home. You need a super day camouflage hunting backpack.
It’s also important that the camouflage matches whatever camouflage suit you’ll be wearing. If it doesn’t, then it’s still going to stick out like a sore thumb. With a properly camouflaged hunting backpack, the elk won’t see you or your equipment.
2. Loading Straps
You’re going to be carrying a lot of equipment, meat, and other stuff when you go deer hunting. So, you need plenty of space. Besides needing the proper weapons, you’re also going to need items to break the elk down. If you intend to take its horns, then you need to be prepared to carry that weight comfortably while your trips.
That’s where load lifter straps come in handy. No hunting backpack is complete without them. The integrated load lifter straps will make carrying heavy items a lot easier. They essentially carry some of the load for you.
They also help ensure that the backpack still rests in a proper position against your body, so it doesn’t kill your back or force you into an uncomfortable posture.
3. T-6 Aircraft Aluminum Frame
Hunting is a lot of work. You’re going to be climbing, crawling, and doing a lot of walking to find the perfect spot. Your backpack needs to be ready to deal with the physical demands that you have for it.
That’s why the T-6 Aircraft aluminum frame is vital. It’s strong. It gives support while hunting. Even if you end up throwing the backpack on the ground, the frame can take the abuse and ensure that it remains intact.
Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter.
The internal aluminum frame will help ensure that your capacity pack remains strong, and Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter. It won’t start to rust and crumble away over the years.
4. Pistol Holder
Another important aspect of a hunting pack for elk hunting is pistol holster. These should be built into the backpack. While you will hold your rifle, you need your pistol is quickly reaching for the holster conveniently located at the sides of the bag.
While your rifle may be what brings down an elk, it may not be a clean shot. Rapid access to your pistol is needed for a quick mercy shot. The holsters also help ensure that your pistols are protected when not in use.
5. Zip and Flip Covers
The best kind of hunting backpack is those that offer a lot of pockets. You need plenty of storage for ammo and other pretty heavy hunting gear. Those pockets should have zip and flip covers. You don’t have time to untie a drawstring or to fumble with a latch.
All you need to do to access more ammo quickly is to flip the flap up and unzip the pocket. You can immediately grab what you need and flip the cover back down. It will protect the contents inside of the pocket until you have the time to pull the zipper again.
6. Waterproof Material
One last important feature of a hunting backpack is its waterproof material. Certain items cannot get wet. A waterproof bag can keep them safe.
Best Hunting Backpacks for Elk Hunt
To make your choice easier we reviewed many backpacks for elk hunt, we considered all features in our article, and can recommend the next excellent brands:
- Integrated bow/rifle carrying system:Hunting backpack Drop down pocket to securely hold gun or bow.Keep your essentials close with a drop-down rifle/bow holder pocket.
- Large Main Compartment:The large main storage compartment offers plenty of storage space.Mesh side pockets are perfect for storing a water bottle or extra gear.Hunting Daypack Size:12.6 in X 9 in X22 in.
- Padded for Comfort:Both the shoulder straps and back panel are padded, making the pack more comfortable when loaded with weight.Padded waist belt and shoulder straps with adjustable sternum straps for maximum comfort.
- Perfect hunting pack for long hikes:600D nylon ballistic and robin nylon fabrics for unmatched strength paired with Lycra shoulder straps for added comfor,Camo Pattern: Realtree Edge.
- Built-In Rain Cover:Rain cover included to stay safe and keep your gear dry during inclement weather conditions.
- Unique organizational front shelf pocket helps keep all your gear at your fingertips
- Keep your essentials close with a drop-down rifle/bow holder pocket, quiver holders and hydration pocket and port
- Padded waist belt with two pockets and reinforced webbing to accommodate clip-style holsters
- Blaze orange rain cover included to stay safe and keep your gear dry during inclement weather conditions
- Weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz., Size: 2700 cu. in., Camo Pattern: Mossy Oak Country
- 1,853 cubic inch capacity
- Cool-mesh lined for comfort
- Densly padded hip belt and shoulder straps
- Five outside pockets, mesh interior pockets
- Integrated long gun carry system
- Large front accessory and main pocket to keep your essentials organized and accessible
- Fully loaded with side mesh pockets, lower storage pocket and hydration pocket and port
- Side compression straps pull in pack's weight, making heavy loads easier and more comfortable to carry
- Padded waist belt and shoulder straps with adjustable sternum straps for maximum comfort
- Weight: 2 lbs. 1 oz. , capacity: 37L/2, 285 in³, Camo pattern: Realtree Edge
- FULLY LOADED - The 2200 covers all the bases with a built-in meat shelf, internal scope and tripod pockets, and a zippered rear entry panel for quick access to your gear; DWR-treated, waterproof fabric offers scent suppression and resists moisture, dirt, and blood
- COMFORTABLE CARRY - ThermoMold Suspension utilizes molded foam so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form; T-6 Aircraft Aluminum internal frame and load lifter straps transfer weight to your hips to reduce fatigue
- APPROACH CAMO - Tested across the globe in varying terrains, Approach camo has a neutral color palette, meticulous patterning, and multi-layered design that’s proven to confuse the eye; Hunters are rendered virtually invisible in varying surroundings and light conditions
- RIFLE & PISTOL COMPATIBLE - 2200 features an integrated rifle boot and built-in hipbelt pistol holders; Compression straps give you loads of options for gear attachment; Compatible with 2-liter hydration systems and the Badlands Bow Boot (sold separately) to attach in place of rifle boot
- UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our packs are built to withstand the toughest conditions hunters might endure; If your pack ever gets damaged, Badlands will fix it for free, forever, no matter who’s at fault; Contact Badlands for more details; Weight: 5 lb 15 oz; Dimensions: 19 x 17 x 9 inches; Main compartment volume: 1980 CI (32.4 L); Total volume: 2250 CI (36.9 L); 8 pockets
- Lightweight & Durable - TideWe hunting backpack is made of quite, durable 600-denier polyester oxford. The weight is only 2.8lb. Our hunting bag is an ideal match for your spot-and-stalk hunting style.
- Organised & Easy Access - Hunting Pack is perfect for keeping gear organized, yet easily accessible. Main compartment and front organizational shelf pocket allow quick access. Nine internal pocket configuration keeps gear separated and organized so you won't have to make unnecessary movement searching for items.
- Comfortable - Channeled back paneling provides incredible support and breathability when walking to and from the stand. Padded waist belt ensures chafe-free comfort from before sunup till after sundown.
- User-Friendly - Built-in removable rain cover protects your gear when the sky opens up. Two clips at the top hold the water bladder.
- Large Capacity - Large front pocket and main compartment offer plenty of space for storing and organizing gear. The size of tidewe hunting backpack is 19.7”*11.8”*7.9”.
- Features: Extra large main compartment; Roomy secondary compartment with organizer; Ultra quiet zipper pulls; Front pocket with zipper closure
- MOLLE equipped; 2L hydration reservoir compatible (reservoir sold separately)
- Yoked shoulder strap System with Adjustable sternum slider; Side compression straps to balance packed gear; Deluxe padded back; 1 inch waist belt for added support
- Left and right elastic mesh pouches perfect for storing water bottles
- Measures 18. 3 by 12. 3 by 8. 1 inches; 28. 2 liters; Backed by lifetime manufacturer’s
- EXTRA POCKETS FOR PHONE: This tactical backpack has multi-compartment and zippered closure pockets to meet your demands in daily life and outdoor camping. The two extra pockets on the wide waist straps are special designed for storing your phone conveniently.
- CAPACITY: With a capacity of 35L this military backpack can be used as 3-day assault pack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, army backpack, trekking backpack.
- HYDRATION COMPATIBLE: Gelindo military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for 2.5L hydration bladder (hydration bladder not included) as hydration backpack or outdoor camping hiking backpack.
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: With the design of double-stitches, high density fabric material, heavy duty zippers and safety reflectors on the shoulder straps, this tactical pack is super reliable and durable. The ventilated mesh padding in the back area and shoulder straps makes it breathable and comfortable to use.
- MOLLE SYSTEM: The MOLLE system of this military pack is designed for your to combine with other equipments by loading pockets, water bottle bag, accessory kits or other things.
- Carry heavy loads with expandable 1, 200 cu. in. section, unique H-frame design and extension lashing straps
- Drop down pocket and front zippered 'wing pockets' allow you to secure your weapon or other gear
- Enjoy the padded shoulder harness, padded spotting scope pocket with tripod sleeve holder and waist belt with two easy access pockets
- Includes a clip-style holster compatible waist belt, H20 pocket/port and blaze orange rain cover
- Weight: 6 lbs. 14 oz. , Capacity: 74L/4, 500 cu. in. Camo Pattern: Real tree MAX-1 XT
- Great Universal Day pack for all your hunting essentials
- Provides storage options with main pocket and front organizational pocket
- Padded shoulder straps and back pad give you extra comfort
- Adjustable sternum strap, lower side mesh pockets and side compression straps
- Weight: 1 lb. 7 oz. , capacity: 34L/2, 080 cu. In. , Camo pattern: Real tree Edge