When hunting big game, there are a lot of variables that can go wrong. You don’t want your backpack to be one of them. When selecting a favorite backpack for hunting elk, make sure you consider the following essential features.
The last thing you want when hunting elk is for your backpack to be the thing that startles the elk. That’s why you should leave your bright neon backpack or neutral-colored backpack at home. You need a super day camouflage hunting backpack.
It’s also important that the camouflage matches whatever camouflage suit you’ll be wearing. If it doesn’t, then it’s still going to stick out like a sore thumb. With a properly camouflaged hunting backpack, the elk won’t see you or your equipment.
2. Loading Straps
You’re going to be carrying a lot of equipment, meat, and other stuff when you go deer hunting. So, you need plenty of space. Besides needing the proper weapons, you’re also going to need items to break the elk down. If you intend to take its horns, then you need to be prepared to carry that weight comfortably while your trips.
That’s where load lifter straps come in handy. No hunting backpack is complete without them. The integrated load lifter straps will make carrying heavy items a lot easier. They essentially carry some of the load for you.
They also help ensure that the backpack still rests in a proper position against your body, so it doesn’t kill your back or force you into an uncomfortable posture.
3. T-6 Aircraft Aluminum Frame
Hunting is a lot of work. You’re going to be climbing, crawling, and doing a lot of walking to find the perfect spot. Your backpack needs to be ready to deal with the physical demands that you have for it.
That’s why the T-6 Aircraft aluminum frame is vital. It’s strong. It gives support while hunting. Even if you end up throwing the backpack on the ground, the frame can take the abuse and ensure that it remains intact.
Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter.
The internal aluminum frame will help ensure that your capacity pack remains strong, and Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter. It won’t start to rust and crumble away over the years.
4. Pistol Holder
Another important aspect of a hunting pack for elk hunting is pistol holster. These should be built into the backpack. While you will hold your rifle, you need your pistol is quickly reaching for the holster conveniently located at the sides of the bag.
While your rifle may be what brings down an elk, it may not be a clean shot. Rapid access to your pistol is needed for a quick mercy shot. The holsters also help ensure that your pistols are protected when not in use.
5. Zip and Flip Covers
The best kind of hunting backpack is those that offer a lot of pockets. You need plenty of storage for ammo and other pretty heavy hunting gear. Those pockets should have zip and flip covers. You don’t have time to untie a drawstring or to fumble with a latch.
All you need to do to access more ammo quickly is to flip the flap up and unzip the pocket. You can immediately grab what you need and flip the cover back down. It will protect the contents inside of the pocket until you have the time to pull the zipper again.
6. Waterproof Material
One last important feature of a hunting backpack is its waterproof material. Certain items cannot get wet. A waterproof bag can keep them safe.
Best Hunting Backpacks for Elk Hunt
To make your choice easier we reviewed many backpacks for elk hunt, we considered all features in our article, and can recommend the next excellent brands:
- THE ULTIMATE HUNTING DAYPACK - The Superday packs everything you need for a day hunt and then some; Convenient pocket placement so you can focus without distraction; Weight limit: you’ll max out before the pack does
- RIFLE & PISTOL COMPATIBLE - The Superday features a built-in rifle boot, two side pistol holders, and 5 compression straps that give you loads of options for gear attachment; Compatible with 2-liter hydration systems; Bow boot available for separate...
- COMFORTABLE CARRY - ThermoMold Suspension utilizes molded foam so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form; This daypack includes load lifter straps that transfer weight from your shoulders to your hips
- DISAPPEARING ACT - Approach FX uses the same groundbreaking concealment technology as its predecessor, but features a darker color palette; Designed for the Midwest or Eastern hunter, as well as late-season Western hunters, this dark woods camo adapts to...
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Any damage, Badlands will replace it for free, forever; Weighs 3 lb 15 oz (1.8 kg) and measures 21 x 16 x 11 inches; Main compartment has a volume of 1440 cubic inches (23.6 L); Total volume is 1950 cubic inches (32 L); 7 pockets
- Lightweight & Durable - TideWe hunting backpack is made of quite, durable 600-denier polyester oxford. The weight is only 2.8lb. Our hunting bag is an ideal match for your spot-and-stalk hunting style.
- Organised & Easy Access - Hunting Pack is perfect for keeping gear organized, yet easily accessible. Main compartment and front organizational shelf pocket allow quick access. Nine internal pocket configuration keeps gear separated and organized so you...
- Comfortable - Channeled back paneling provides incredible support and breathability when walking to and from the stand. Padded waist belt ensures chafe-free comfort from before sunup till after sundown.
- User-Friendly - Built-in removable rain cover protects your gear when the sky opens up. Two clips at the top hold the water bladder.
- Large Capacity - Large front pocket and main compartment offer plenty of space for storing and organizing gear. The size of tidewe hunting backpack is 19.7”*11.8”*7.9”.