When hunting big game, there are a lot of variables that can go wrong. You don’t want your backpack to be one of them. When selecting a favorite backpack for hunting elk, make sure you consider the following essential features.
The last thing you want when hunting elk is for your backpack to be the thing that startles the elk. That’s why you should leave your bright neon backpack or neutral-colored backpack at home. You need a super day camouflage hunting backpack.
It’s also important that the camouflage matches whatever camouflage suit you’ll be wearing. If it doesn’t, then it’s still going to stick out like a sore thumb. With a properly camouflaged hunting backpack, the elk won’t see you or your equipment.
2. Loading Straps
You’re going to be carrying a lot of equipment, meat, and other stuff when you go deer hunting. So, you need plenty of space. Besides needing the proper weapons, you’re also going to need items to break the elk down. If you intend to take its horns, then you need to be prepared to carry that weight comfortably while your trips.
That’s where load lifter straps come in handy. No hunting backpack is complete without them. The integrated load lifter straps will make carrying heavy items a lot easier. They essentially carry some of the load for you.
They also help ensure that the backpack still rests in a proper position against your body, so it doesn’t kill your back or force you into an uncomfortable posture.
3. T-6 Aircraft Aluminum Frame
Hunting is a lot of work. You’re going to be climbing, crawling, and doing a lot of walking to find the perfect spot. Your backpack needs to be ready to deal with the physical demands that you have for it.
That’s why the T-6 Aircraft aluminum frame is vital. It’s strong. It gives support while hunting. Even if you end up throwing the backpack on the ground, the frame can take the abuse and ensure that it remains intact.
Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter.
The internal aluminum frame will help ensure that your capacity pack remains strong, and Aluminum is also a great material because it doesn’t rust when exposed to rain. Since you can’t control the weather, you’re going to be at its mercy when hunting. It may suddenly start downpouring when you’re miles away from any form of shelter. It won’t start to rust and crumble away over the years.
4. Pistol Holder
Another important aspect of a hunting pack for elk hunting is pistol holster. These should be built into the backpack. While you will hold your rifle, you need your pistol is quickly reaching for the holster conveniently located at the sides of the bag.
While your rifle may be what brings down an elk, it may not be a clean shot. Rapid access to your pistol is needed for a quick mercy shot. The holsters also help ensure that your pistols are protected when not in use.
5. Zip and Flip Covers
The best kind of hunting backpack is those that offer a lot of pockets. You need plenty of storage for ammo and other pretty heavy hunting gear. Those pockets should have zip and flip covers. You don’t have time to untie a drawstring or to fumble with a latch.
All you need to do to access more ammo quickly is to flip the flap up and unzip the pocket. You can immediately grab what you need and flip the cover back down. It will protect the contents inside of the pocket until you have the time to pull the zipper again.
6. Waterproof Material
One last important feature of a hunting backpack is its waterproof material. Certain items cannot get wet. A waterproof bag can keep them safe.
Best Hunting Backpacks for Elk Hunt
To make your choice easier we reviewed many backpacks for elk hunt, we considered all features in our article, and can recommend the next excellent brands:
- FULLY LOADED - The 2200 covers all the bases with a built-in meat shelf, internal scope and tripod pockets, and a zippered rear entry panel for quick access to your gear; DWR-treated, waterproof fabric offers scent suppression and resists moisture, dirt, and blood
- COMFORTABLE CARRY - ThermoMold Suspension utilizes molded foam so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form; T-6 Aircraft Aluminum internal frame and load lifter straps transfer weight to your hips to reduce fatigue
- APPROACH CAMO - Tested across the globe in varying terrains, Approach camo has a neutral color palette, meticulous patterning, and multi-layered design that’s proven to confuse the eye; Hunters are rendered virtually invisible in varying surroundings and light conditions
- RIFLE & PISTOL COMPATIBLE - 2200 features an integrated rifle boot and built-in hipbelt pistol holders; Compression straps give you loads of options for gear attachment; Compatible with 2-liter hydration systems and the Badlands Bow Boot (sold separately) to attach in place of rifle boot
- UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our packs are built to withstand the toughest conditions hunters might endure; If your pack ever gets damaged, Badlands will fix it for free, forever, no matter who’s at fault; Contact Badlands for more details; Weight: 5 lb 15 oz; Dimensions: 19 x 17 x 9 inches; Main compartment volume: 1980 CI (32.4 L); Total volume: 2250 CI (36.9 L); 8 pockets
- EXTRA POCKETS FOR PHONE: This tactical backpack has multi-compartment and zippered closure pockets to meet your demands in daily life and outdoor camping. The two extra pockets on the wide waist straps are special designed for storing your phone conveniently.
- CAPACITY: With a capacity of 35L this military backpack can be used as 3-day assault pack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, army backpack, trekking backpack.
- HYDRATION COMPATIBLE: Gelindo military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for 2.5L hydration bladder (hydration bladder not included) as hydration backpack or outdoor camping hiking backpack.
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: With the design of double-stitches, high density fabric material, heavy duty zippers and safety reflectors on the shoulder straps, this tactical pack is super reliable and durable. The ventilated mesh padding in the back area and shoulder straps makes it breathable and comfortable to use.
- MOLLE SYSTEM: The MOLLE system of this military pack is designed for your to combine with other equipments by loading pockets, water bottle bag, accessory kits or other things.
- It is a very popular multipurpose backpack, suitable for different people, suitable for various occasions, can be used to travel, trekking, hunting, hiking and other outdoor activities, for both men and women, It is a general daypack. But it have some Molle system, you can add different small pouch or Velcro on it, make the backpack different with other backpacks.
- This 3-day travel backpack has four main loading space, the front compartment can hold the cell phone wallet, the key and so on, the middle compartment can put the flat plate and the book, the main compartment can put some clothes and so on it works great to hold all of those just Incase items, like fuses and food, flashlight, anything Incase of an emergency. Plenty of room for a lot of stuff and plenty of separate compartments you have organized.
- Water bottle mesh pocket in the side(bottle not included).It is convenient for you to drink water in outdoor activities, MOLLE system in the front, you can add pouch, mountaineering hook can be used for hanging small things, the side of the buckle can make this large backpack more compact, more comfortable to carry, you can put some name card or flag in front of the Velcro, make this outdoor backpack more personalized
- There are two walkie-talkie pouch on the back strap of the bag , It is convenient to use walkie - talkie when you walk, adjustable chest belt can disperse the pressure of this military backpack, carrying more comfortable, and adjustable belt, let the whole tactical backpack fit our body, additional straps around the chest and waist to distribute the weight better.
- This is an expandable backpack, which can be expanded by zipper on the side. The thickness of the side can be switched between 8 'and 13', and the maximum packet capacity can reach 64L. Can hold more things and the side buckles make it easy to secure it and reduce the size if it's full, and this backpack is waterproof, very suitable for outdoor activities.
- Unique organizational front shelf pocket helps keep all your gear at your fingertips
- Keep your essentials close with a drop-down rifle/bow holder pocket, quiver holders and hydration pocket and port
- Padded waist belt with two pockets and reinforced webbing to accommodate clip-style holsters
- Blaze orange rain cover included to stay safe and keep your gear dry during inclement weather conditions
- Weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz., Size: 2700 cu. in., Camo Pattern: Mossy Oak Country
- 1,853 cubic inch capacity
- Cool-mesh lined for comfort
- Densly padded hip belt and shoulder straps
- Five outside pockets, mesh interior pockets
- Integrated long gun carry system
- Tactical assualt backpack Capacity: 34L. Size approx.:11"*18"*12" / 28*45.5*30CM (W*H*D), it's small backpack; Military backpack is made of high density fabric-durable and water-resistant.
- The assault pack with double-stitched, Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, Side and front load compression system, Comfortable padding back area, Ventilated mesh padding shoulder strap.
- Military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for 2.5L hydration bladder (backpack didn't include hydration bladder) as hydration back pack or outdoor camping hiking backpack school backpack.
- This tactical assault backpack can be used as 3 day assault back pack, bug bag backpack, combat backpack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, military army backpack rucksack or trekking backpack.
- The molle tactical backpack has molle system, MOLLE is a little different as most tactical bacpkacks and is not to spec. Spacing between of molle is less than 1/2".
- 1800 cubic inch capacity
- High-vis lining and zipper pulls are great for low-light conditions
- Quiet fabric to help you go unnoticed
- Hydration pouch ready with dual water bottle pockets
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps, sternum strap, and waist belt
- THE ULTIMATE HUNTING DAYPACK - The Superday packs everything you need for a day hunt and then some; Convenient pocket placement so you can focus without distraction; Weight limit: you’ll max out before the pack does
- RIFLE & PISTOL COMPATIBLE - The Superday features a built-in rifle boot, two side pistol holders, and 5 compression straps that give you loads of options for gear attachment; Compatible with 2-liter hydration systems; Bow boot available for separate purchase
- COMFORTABLE CARRY - ThermoMold Suspension utilizes molded foam so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form; This daypack includes load lifter straps that transfer weight from your shoulders to your hips
- DISAPPEARING ACT - Approach FX uses the same groundbreaking concealment technology as its predecessor, but features a darker color palette; Designed for the Midwest or Eastern hunter, as well as late-season Western hunters, this dark woods camo adapts to your surroundings AND the current lighting
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Any damage, Badlands will replace it for free, forever; Weighs 3 lb 15 oz (1.8 kg) and measures 21 x 16 x 11 inches; Main compartment has a volume of 1440 cubic inches (23.6 L); Total volume is 1950 cubic inches (32 L); 7 pockets
- Roomy main compartment
- Hydration compatible (reservoir not included)
- Multiple storage pockets including front pocket with organizer
- Side compression straps
- Side pouch fits most water bottles
- Quiet: Ultra quiet zipper pulls, top compartment has been designed with quiet roll-top closure
- Storage: front access scope pocket, stowable rifle carrier pouch with zipper closure, vertical front entry opening for easy access to gear, top flap includes zippered compartment
- Easy carry: adjustable waist and chest straps, 2 compression straps to secure your load, yoked shoulder strap System with adjustable sternum slider
- Hydration Compatible (2-liter hydration reservoir sold separately)
- Dimensions: 2904 cubic inches/47.6 liters, 20 x 14.6 x 8.3 inches, 2.51 pounds