For travelers, one of the worst parts of traveling by plane is the security line. Not only do you have to be touched by strangers, but your luggage also has to be rummaged through. To make your life easier, when traveling with a duffel bag, here are some of the best features that you should expect from the best duffel bag for checked luggage.
1. Easy Zipper Open
One of the aspects of a duffel bag that most people struggle with is the zipper. No matter how much they hope, it always seems as though the zipper snags on the cloth beneath it. This can create an embarrassing delay while you try to open the bag to show security the bag’s contents.
To solve this problem, you need a high-quality zipper. The material of the bag can also help make it less prone to collapsing inwards and snagging on the zipper. A stiffer material can help with this.
You may be surprised to know that there are actually duffel bags that come with wheels. Attached to the bag, there’s also a handle that’s attached to the top of the bag. This allows you to easily pull your duffel bag through the airport.
For those who tend to travel often or need to carry their bag a long distance, the wheels can be a great benefit. It’s far easier to roll something heavy than to lift it. The best duffel bag for checked luggage should contain wheels.
You can quickly roll it up to security, show them the contents within it, and then quickly roll out of there.
Because the duffel bag is going to be headed with other pieces of luggage beneath the plane, it’s a good idea to ensure its material is durable. One of the key features that it needs to include is a stain-resistant or waterproof exterior.
The luggage container in a plane can sometimes be hostiles towards bags made of cheaper or poor materials. Yet a bag that has a resistant and durable exterior will stand up to the different pressures and any leaks that reside within the luggage carrier.
When it comes time to pick up your bag, you’ll find it in as good condition as when you left it.
4. Minimal Pouches
Sometimes, you can find a duffel bag that offers numerous pouches and pockets. These should be avoided if you’re checking the duffel bag. Security has to check every single pouch and pocket in a bag, even if they’re empty. For a duffel bag that numerous pouches, this can take a few minutes.
To make the stop at security quick and painless, you should invest in a duffel bag that has as few pockets and pouches as possible. The security will simply need to inspect the contents of the main portion of the bag, and then they can send you on your way.
For those who don’t want wheels on their duffel bag, then you could instead look for a duffel bag that has a strap. Wheels can sometimes add weight to a bag. A strap, however, is typically made of nylon or the same material that the bag is made of. So, it’s lightweight.
Having a shoulder strap on your duffel bag may also be quicker to pick up and set down for security. You simply hold it on your shoulder and then slip off the strap in front of the security team, so they can peruse its contents.
With straps, you’ll also want high-quality rings to which the strap attaches to minimize it breaking.
Best Duffel Bags For Checked Luggage
- Made of nylon. Very durable, lightweight, and dependable for many trips and long term storage
- Heavy duty blade wheel system
- Spacious main compartment and multiple additional zippered pockets for extra convenience and organization
- Top & rear carry handles
- Check-in suitcase size
- Large u shape top pocket
- Six front pockets
- Internal handle
- Heavy duty 600 denier Polyester
- U-top zippered opening provides easy access to main compartment
- Two front zipper secured compartments
- Two side zipper secured compartments
- Adjustable ergonomic removable shoulder strap
- Made from Premium Heart of the Hide baseball leather
- Exterior front zip pocket, back pouch pocket, and interior zip pocket
- Detachable leather strap
- Rawlings 22 x 12 x 11 Heart of the Hide Leather Duffle Bag
- Exterior front zip pockets and back pouch pocket
- Dimensions when full: 47” x 15” x 17” (L*W*H) with extra-large capacity, COOLBEBE travel bag with roomy interior for storing items; Ideal for camping, hunting and sport travel and even fits for umbrella style strollers
- Made of durable, water-resistant 600 denier fabric material with premium heavy duty metal SBS zipper; The padded shoulder strap for total comfort; the sturdy polyester body makes this duffle bag ideal for long-term use
- Built with incredibly durable materials, this is your go-to duffel bag for everyday performance. Extra-large zippered pocket for plenty of organization, well protect travel accessories or your personal items against dirt and dust
- When not in use, the duffel bag folds into a flat, compact size for easy storage, taking up no space. Plenty of room for storing items, good for travel and use as tent bag, luggage bag, cargo bag, gear bag and equipment bag for all sports
- 2 Carrying Options: over your shoulder, or by the bag's dual handles. You can use it as a sports gym bag, a travel bag and a sport bag, perfect for workout, gym, yoga, beach, pool, camping, practice days or weekend trips
- Outer dimensions (including wheels): 32.5 x 16.5 x 14.5 inches; Interior dimensions: 29.5 x 13.5 x 4.5 inches
- Interior capacity: 92 Liters
- Weight: 10.9 lbs.
- Wheeled duffel in black with grey accents for traveling in comfortable, convenient style
- Durable design; 100% polyester top; sides and base made of 1680D ripstop and 210D lining
- 22" Rolling Duffel: 22" L x 12" W x 13. 5" H
- Multi-Use Duffle Bag: For short duration travel, camping, gym, and other outdoor activities
- Lightweight, Durable, Recommended Under 40 lb. Carry Capacity
- Exterior front accessory pockets. Fully-lined interior with spacious main interior compartment
- In-line heavy duty blade wheels for all-terrain mobility
- Now even lighter than the maxlite 4 version, this lightweight, wheeled carry-on duffel bag is perfect on its own for shorter trips or as a stackable complement to other suitcases. Polyester fabric with stain-resistant, water repellant duraguard coating and ergonomic, high tensile strength zipper pulls provide lasting durability
- High performance ball bearing wheels and lightweight yet sturdy PowerScope Lite handle with stops at 38 Inches and 42.5 Inches reduce wobble and ensure a smooth, easy roll
- Carrying options include a low profile stacking strap, top, side, and bottom carry handles. Roomy interior compartment and built in accessory pocket offer packing convenience and flexibility
- Limited Lifetime Coverage plus trusted companion promise, which covers the cost of repair for damage from airline or other common carrier for 1 year
- Case Dimensions: 20x12x10, Overall Dimensions: 20.5x13x10, Weight 4.4 Pounds
- A 100% dry duffel. But definitely not a cooler. Hydrolok zipper makes sure water stays out so your gear stays bone-dry, no matter how torrential it gets.
- U-dock the terminal end of your hydrolok zipper that ensures a completely airtight seal
- Thickskin shell made of high-density nylon and thick tpu lamination to be puncture- and abrasion-resistant
- Dryhaul straps in the hands or on the back, they’re as durable as they are comfortable
- Metallock hardware this hardware can take on smacks and whacks without breaking
- One main large compartment with double zipper entry
- Zippered side compartment
- Bottom zippered opening for extra expansion of storage
- Completely hidden telescoping handle